Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

2 outlets running in series, breaker off, non-contact meter beeps red?

Old 01-15-17, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was going to change out two receptacles that are wired in a series and shut the breaker for that circuit and tested with non-contact voltage meter and it beeps and flashes red on both outlets, but I get no power from the outlets.

I'm going to try shutting the main tomorrow. I don't dare touch the receptacles. What's going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-17, 10:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I was going to change out two receptacles that are wired in a series
Receptacles are never wired in series. They are parallel wired. You probably mean daisy chained.
tested with non-contact voltage meter and it beeps and flashes red on both outlets, but I get no power from the outlets.
Give the non contact tester to your kid to play with. They are useless for real testing. For testing you need a multimeter, preferably analog (or a neon test light or a solenoid voltage tester.) Non contact tester can easily be fooled by induced voltage which has no real power.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-16-17 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Give the non contact tester to your kid to play with. They are useless for real testing. For testing you need a multimeter, preferably analog (or a neon test light or a solenoid voltage tester.) Non contact tester can easily be fooled by induced voltage which has no real power
Thanks ray. I kind of like the non-contact, but you're right that I should have an analog mm. I'm going out to purchase one today. The thing I DO like about the non-contact is that it beeps where the cable is behind the wall and you can sort of trace it. I think it's also a good back up.

With respect to multimeters I noticed that HD has one, but the contacts seemed very short. I'm wondering if these would go into an outlet to check it. Also I am now installing Leviton TR outlets to replace all the old 3 prongs. Will it go into those?

Maybe you could give me a quick primer on how to use the mm also as far as what wires to touch in the receptacles? If you have the time.

Thanks

Old 01-16-17, 01:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You set the multimeter to AC volts on a scale that will put the reading about in the middle. Example if you have a 250 volt scale use that for 120v. You usually can just stick the two probes in the receptacle. At receptacles you should get:
  • Black to white ~120v
  • Black to ground ~120v
  • White to ground ~ 0v

You do not normally measure voltages at a switch that does not have a power in cable. If a power in cable you measure across the black and white of the power in cable. Measuring across the switch is not a useful measurement in most cases.

I use black to indicate the hot wire but the hot wire can also be red or blue or any color except green or gray. White can in a cable switch circuit be hot and by code should be remarked black, red, or any color except green or gray but often isn't. White should never be hot if conduit with individual wires.

Old 01-16-17, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can't put the probes in a TR receptacle unless you do them both at the same time. TR receptacles are made to where one item stuck in the slot won't open the plastic. This is to prevent junior from sticking a paper clip in there and getting a new hairdo.