3 wires feeding old 2 prong receptacle

Old 01-15-17, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 wires feeding old 2 prong receptacle

Any idea what's going on here?

I've been replacing some old, loose outlets in my home recently. The house was built in the 1920's or so, with a garage and an addition added on in the 70's I believe. Some of the wiring in the garage is newer, and then there's two or three different types of older wiring in the other parts of the house.

Long story short, any idea why there are 3 black and white wires coming into this box, with only two connected to the receptacle? There are ground wires, and in this box it is hard to see, but it looks like they grounded the box itself.

It looks like the wire might be 16ga wire feeding the receptacle. The old outlet was a 2 prong, 15A 125v outlet.

Later I might try to check out the wiring jacket itself, but I think the writing might be worn off like on some of the other wiring. It's in an area that's hard to access, that's why I might take a look tomorrow or another day.

You can click on the thumbnails below to see larger images.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-17, 12:15 AM
One more thing.. I know some people might say to take the tape off and see what's under there. I might do that another day, for today I just left it alone.

Old 01-16-17, 02:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
That tape is probably over a soldered connection and should be checked.
I'll take your word for the ground wire as I haven't seen it in any of the pictures.
The gauge of the wire is #14.

You have three cables coming in there. One is the feed in and the other two are feed outs.
You have three white wires in one "connection" and three blacks in the other "connection".

Old 01-16-17, 11:19 PM
You were right, only the person who did the wiring didn't solder the connections.

Initially I was thinking about leaving it as is, but now I'm thinking about going with a couple 4 way push in connectors instead. I'm not sure yet, any additional thoughts are appreciated.

Old 01-17-17, 12:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
You may not have enough wire to cut back and use the push in splices.
I think I'd just twist on short tails to go to the receptacle and cap with wirenuts.