Inspection readiness question

Old 01-16-17, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inspection readiness question

I'm wiring my new home. Trying to go above code as much as reasonable. I'm looking forward to my rough inspection. Question; I'm leaving all conductors sticking out of wall boxes 6-8". I assume for the inspection I would tie all the grounds together but should I tie the neutrals together too or leaving them sticking out with the hots. Also, in certain boxes I have of course multiple conductors. Is there an effective way to mark each run so after drywall I don't weat out my continuity tester? Thank you for your advice.
Jim in Tenessee

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-17, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 233 Votes on 213 Posts
I tie the grounds together only. Make sure the green wire nut is well outside the box.

As for marking I do all my wiring bringing the source of the power into the box from the bottom and wires leave the box from the top. You can do it whatever way you want but pick a system and that will help keep them straight. I also write on the inside of the box with a permanent marker next to where each wire enters the box.

If your floors are unfinished and before sheetrock I go around and mark every box's location on the floor. For ceiling boxes I'll drop a plumb bob to mark it's location on the floor. Then if the hole for a box is not cut in the sheetrock you can easily find it.

Old 01-16-17, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I make up the boxes completely, ready for switches or outlets.
I use red tape to mark the common on 3-ways and line on GFIs.
Everything is folded neatly into the box and ready for devices.

Old 01-16-17, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In my area inspector wants to see all pigtail connections made...grounds, neutrals, hots.

I have always left all the wires and wire nuts out of the box for the inspection, but don't know if that's a requirement....

Like PD, feed enters bottom on wall boxes. I assign a letter to each circuit and jot it on the end of the romex sheath; it is also marked on the electrical plan. And again like PD, I note cable source/destination inside the box with a sharpie.

Old 01-16-17, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Usually at the very least grounds should be made up for rough inspection with wire nuts or crimps. Some inspectors may want to see hots and neutrals made up, but it's rare it would be required. Of course all the boxes should be firmly set to framing and all of the cables should be stapled and secured to framing. Steel nailing protection plates should be installed where cables are closer than 1.25" to the nailing face of the lumber.

A common trick with switch legs and 3-way travelers is to leave the two traveler wires straight and wrap the common wire around them sort of like a candy cane stripe; then fold the whole set of three back into the box. When painting is done and you unfold the wires you can easily identify which is which based on how they're wrapped up. Other circuits I mark in advance are circuits with GFCI receptacles as it helps to mark which cable is LINE and LOAD. I find a sharpie marker to be good enough in this regard. On the panel side, I'll write the name of the circuit on the cable sheath with my sharpie -- simple notes like "north bdrm", "kit tops", "bsmt", "bath 1" and so forth.