New Range Hood installed, now four outlets and hood inop.

Old 01-16-17, 08:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Range Hood installed, now four outlets and hood inop.

So us noobs, took it upon ourselves to change out the hood overy our range. After installation was done, with power shut off of course, we connected the black to the house black and connected the white to the house white and connected both house grounds to the hood case. Then the moment of truth, hood didn't work and the four outlets on the circuit are inop. Also, I may have massaged the black together and got all outlets and hood operating. However, it shut off after a minute when we turned on the fan on the hood. Thinking the vibration had something to do with it, but after more fiddling, nothing is working again. Also, I accidentally touched the three white wires (two from house, one from hood) to the case of the hood and all the outlets and hood functioned. (I completed the circuit by using the case to connect to earth ground) Now I have no idea where to go from here. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-16-17, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Besides sounding like you have created a possibility dangerous condition by using the ground as the neutral, I think the issue is the loss of the neutral. Check all the white connections.

Old 01-16-17, 08:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I completed the circuit by using the case to connect to earth ground) Now I have no idea where to go from here.
Very dangerous disconnect now.

First off range hood by current code should not be on the receptacle circuit. It may be best to run a new circuit for the hood or go to a nearby lighting circuit.

Do you have a multimeter? (A non contact tester won't work.) Please post a picture of the wiring. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 01-16-17, 11:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 01-17-17, 12:09 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Did you redo each wire nut and make sure the wire was not broken inside the insulation?

Have you checked the breaker by turning it all the way off and then on?

Were the two blacks connected to each other and the two whites connected to each other when you took the old hood down?

Do you have a multimeter? (A non contact tester won't work.)

Old 01-17-17, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm wondering if you just had a bad connection when you originally wired it. Are you using wire nuts big enough? The Pro's can probably tell by the color.

Did you pre-twist the wires (not required, but some people do it) or make sure they didn't back out when you put the nut on.

Also, is there a box in the wall? It almost looks like the cables are just coming out of a hole.

Old 01-17-17, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
is there a box in the wall
Usually that is all you have. The range hood will have the box needed for the connections and strain relief.

Old 01-17-17, 07:03 AM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is there a Ground Fault Receptacle in the Kitchen. If not, do you have a GFCI circuit breaker controlling the kitchen?
See if it's tripped or needs replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: