Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Best way to run the cable through floor for new cable connection in wall

Old 01-18-17, 08:36 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I wasnt sure which forum to ask in so if there is a better one please let me know. I am running a new cable connection to my bedroom through the floor from the garage underneath. I have taken down a piece of drywall to gain access. I can only get a rough guess of where the wall is based on a floor vent on one side of the wall. I think the wall may be directly over a joist but I am not sure. I am trying to figure out if I should drill from underneath or try to cut out the whole in the wall for the cable outlet box and try to use some sort of extension and drill down.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-18-17, 09:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
I use an old work electrical box. First I cut the hole for the box in the sheetrock. Then I use a long flexible drill bit designed specifically for fishing wires. Most home centers and hardware stores carry them. I drill from the box cutout straight down inside the wall cavity. You can angle to the side if you think you'll hit a joist below. Once the drill bit breaks through leave it in the wall. Then go downstairs and attach your cable to the end of the drill bit. Go back upstairs and when you pull out the drill bit the cable comes up with it.

Old 01-18-17, 09:23 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Note that penetrations from a garage to a bedroom require sealing with fire block sealant and/or fire rated sheetrock with finished seams to your local fire code.

Old 01-18-17, 10:37 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 157 Votes on 139 Posts
The other trick you can use is to drill a small (1/8") hole in the floor against the baseboard molding. Stick a wire or clothes hanger into the hole and look from below. You can then measure and drill the hole from the bottom upward into the wall.

Old 01-18-17, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Dane left you one way to drill the hole. The other way... since you have a piece of the ceiling open is to drill up where the red line is.

The diagram below is if you were standing directly in line with the end of the wall. The wall studs sit on a 2x4 which is on top of the floor. So you'd be drilling that 2x4 and the floor sheathing. The rim joist is the tall framing member directly under the 2x4and the sheathing.

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  9.4 KB

Old 01-18-17, 11:04 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
You could remove a piece of baseboard and drill a small hole through the plate behind it and fish the wire up to through there,I like to take a 10"+- of coat hanger cut at an angle and drill down next to the baseboard,then take a measurement from there.

Old 01-20-17, 01:06 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pilot Dane,
What do you call that tool that holds the flex bit in the picture?

Old 01-20-17, 03:26 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
It's the handle that comes in the package with a long flexible drill bit, so "long flexible drill bit holder" :-)

Old 01-21-17, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
I'm guessing you're going to try the flexbit method. If you do..... that tool you inquired about is to keep the bit all the way forward towards the sheetrock. You MUST drill in the front of the bay or you'll be in to the rim joist.

Modified my drawing to illustrate the drill bit path.

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  11.0 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: