Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Hook up wires and bypass ballast in light fixture for LED lights install.

Old 01-18-17, 09:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I finally received my 2 LED replacement lights for the old fluorescent light fixture that I have a I realize I have to bypass the ballast. I have 2 lights so they have to be connected in series it says in the instructions.

I'm just wondering about the connections at the lamp holders (tombstones). Also I think I only have to have ONE wire connecting the tombstones at each end right?

These lights also supposedly work with either shunted or non-shunted tombstones and it says it doesn't matter what type they are.

Here's a pic of the current setup before I change it to accommodate the LEDS.

Can you tell me what I should get rid of regarding to the wires on the tombstones?

Just for the heck of it - Can you tell if these are shunted or non-shunted?

Name:  IMG_0771JPG.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  23.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-17, 09:43 PM
B
Here's another couple pics after I've set it up for the LEDS.

Do you think everything looks ok? I used wires off the ballast for the black and white that will tie into the 14/2 cable coming in from the ceiling. Is this ok? Also, should I put the ground from the 14/2 cable to the chassis?

That's ONE of the bulbs, I left the other out just to show my wiring.

Name:  IMG_0772JPG.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0773JPG.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  27.6 KB

Old 01-18-17, 10:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have 2 lights so they have to be connected in series it says in the instructions.
I would seriously question that. They are normally parallel. Can you scan the instructions and post.

Does the instructions say to connect to both ends or one end? The ones I have You connect to both ends. Being lazy I just connected all the tombstone wires from one end to house black. And all the tombstone wires from the other end to the house neutral. I really only needed one wire from each tombstone but I knew it didn't matter so I didn't eliminate any of them.

Old 01-18-17, 11:26 PM
B
I would seriously question that. They are normally parallel. Can you scan the instructions and post.

Does the instructions say to connect to both ends or one end? The ones I have You connect to both ends. Being lazy I just connected all the tombstone wires from one end to house black. And all the tombstone wires from the other end to the house neutral. I really only needed one wire from each tombstone but I knew it didn't matter so I didn't eliminate any of them.
Ray, these are Fulights. They say DOESN'T matter if the mounts are shunted or non-shunted because I believe the LED tubes are shunted inside on each end as the instructions say.

They say to hook hot up to one side and neutral to the other side. Then they show a picture and basically say that if you're connecting 2 or more you run a wire on each side from one mount to the next. You DON'T connect the hot and neutral to one side of the LED, BUT one to each side of the LED.

I think it's actually a parallel circuit because the LEDS have a shunt inside the ends. I think this is the reason that it doesn't matter if the mounts are shunted or unshunted because inside the LED ends they're shunted anyways. So, if you see the way I have them wired below in the pic, you can see how the hot and neutral will run through the circuit.

Last edited by Brian1900; 01-18-17 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 06:50 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just for the heck of it - Can you tell if these are shunted or non-shunted?
Because you have two wires between the two tombstones I'd say they are non-shunted.

The way you have it should work fine, same as mine. I have the Fulight 6000, takes a while getting used to it.

Name:  kitchen light2.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  18.4 KB

Old 01-19-17, 02:02 PM
B
Thanks Baldwin and everyone! I wired them up today and they worked! The 4000 in the old recessed case is a little less bright than what I had in there with the lightbar, but the lightbar was mounted so that it stuck out and you constantly saw this really bright bar up above you, so I like the original fixture better.

I MAY order the 5000k bulbs to try them, but the 4000 (in this fixture) are not THAT dim, so it's not a HUGE deal. It worked though, so that's good!

Old 01-19-17, 02:32 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I was bored this morning so I ordered (4) Hyperikon 2' 4000k with frosted lens, be here tomorrow. $$$ one-day shipping. If nothing else I might put a 4000 and a 6000 and see how that is.

Old 01-19-17, 03:58 PM
B
I was bored this morning so I ordered (4) Hyperikon 2' 4000k with frosted lens, be here tomorrow. $$$ one-day shipping. If nothing else I might put a 4000 and a 6000 and see how that is.
Yeah, It's a lot of fun! lol