Grounded switches - metal boxes

Old 01-19-17, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounded switches - metal boxes

I've noticed as I replace switches in my house from 1971 that so far all the boxes are metal and the ground wire coming in is under a screw on the metal box and then the switch(es) are merely screwed in. Is this ok? Are they properly grounded?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-17, 03:46 PM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Nowadays the switch must also have a specific ground connection, for example the ground wire being long enough to wrap around the screw at the back of the box and come out to be attached to the switch mounting strip green screw. Another way is to wire nut the entering ground wrie to two short lengths, one attached to the back of the box and one attached to the switch itself. Yet another way is attach the ground wire to the box as you hav it now and a special clip meant for the purpose and sold separately is squashed between the switch mounting strip and the tab on the box where things are screwed togehter.

When more than one cable enters a box, all the ground wires must be connected together as well as have a connection to the box (if metal) and a connection to each switch or receptacle unit in the box.

I would say your house is grandfathered. You don't have to go through and redo every box with a specific ground wire to the switch or receptacle.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-19-17 at 04:05 PM.