unfinished basement wiring code question

Old 01-20-17, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello folks,

There are a few instances of wiring in my basement where romex enters a junction box below the bottom edge of the joist (that is, the box is mounted on the bottom edge of the joist, and the romex enters through a side punchout in the box.) See attached photos.

My question: is this arrangement okay with the electrical code?

My reason for asking is that, in these instances, the otherwise unprotected romex is running below the bottom edge of the joist, and so for that small length is possible considered unprotected.

Does code allow this? If not, is it the sort of thing that would have to be changed before selling the house?

I live in Minneapolis, MN.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-17, 12:43 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I can't answer if your LOCAL code, the only code that matters, allows the situation you described but I can assure you that using a conduit connector rather than a NM cable clamp IS contrary to all codes.

Old 01-20-17, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Ah, yes, I see that the one romex cable is using a conduit connector rather than a romex connector. Thanks, I'll fix that!

Now, assuming the local code is the same as the standard national code, what do people think about this arrangement (i.e. the romex going into a junction box that is attached below the bottom edge of the joist). Of course, if someone knows the specific Minneapolis code, that would be great, too!

Old 01-20-17, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The location of the box and cables is less of an issue compared to having the wrong clamps and all that loose romex. The excess cable should be fastened with staples and the box should have romex connectors. Inspectors generally don't have a problem with boxes and wiring above 6 or 7 feet in a residential basement, but "subject to damage" is entirely up to the interpretation of who's looking at it. You won't find an older house that doesn't have something like this. Unlike today, basements weren't considered to be much more than utility and storage space. Now finishing is very common and wiring is done to a higher standard.

Old 01-20-17, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Minneapolis, MN follows the 2014 NEC without amendments until the 2017 NEC goes into effect and uses state electrical inspections. For selling a home you would not have an electrical inspector, you would have home inspector which is not as picky as an electrical inspector might be.

The cables going into the boxes should have the proper cable connectors and should be stapled/secured within 12" of the box. While I am not a fan of exposed cables below the framing members due to the lack of protection, most home inspectors would let it slide. If you did want to fix it you could sleeve it with some 1/2" FMC with a proper connector on each end.