Arc fault question

Old 01-20-17, 01:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arc fault question

Tennessee is currently using the 2007 NEC. So of course I am putting all the bedrooms on ARC fault. Question; since I need to utilize each circuit as much as possible- can I also include a couple devices from an adjoining room on the bedroom ARC fault circuit? Thanks for your help.
Jim

Old 01-20-17, 03:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
The minimum guideline for lights and receptacles in general living spaces (which includes bedrooms) is about 3 watts per square foot. That means a 15A (1875W) can supply about 630 square feet, and a 20A (2400W) circuit could supply about 800 square feet. This assumes basic lighting and common household appliances. It is a guideline, not a requirement. You can power as many different rooms from one circuit as you want, except of course the rooms with special requirements like bathrooms and kitchens. It also does not count large appliances like window air conditioners or heaters which should have their own circuits.

BTW, there isn't a 2007 NEC. There are 2002, 2005, 2008 and so on. Your state or county probably adopted the 2005 code in 2007 as part of a state building code, but some states are a cycle or two behind so it could be an earlier version. It's probably worth digging in to that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: