plugs not working

Old 01-20-17, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plugs not working

ok I plugged in a ex cord to a wall plug in to cut out a section of bad flooring hit the button on the skill saw it came on just for second and then stop thought it had threw a breaker went a check all the breakers were still on and none felt weak so I said it had be the plug went bad started with the one that had the ex cord plug up too change plug still did not fix my problem started checking other plugs and found 5 move with no juice so change all 5 of them one at a time and still did not fix it and like I said all the breakers are on and none of them are weak now I am lost what else could be wrong help please?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-17, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I deleted your email....you don't want the spam that showing it publically would attract.....

Turn your breakers all the way off and then back on....sometimes it's hard to tell when one is tripped.

Also, look for GFCI receptacle that has tripped...could be in bathroom, garage, even outside.....

Old 01-20-17, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just to be clear. "Plugs" are the male part of a cord that is plugged into a "receptacle". As Paul said, you have a GFCI that has tripped, and it could be a treasure hunt unless you have them all mapped out. BUT, more interesting you have a ground fault, either in the extension cord or in your skil saw. The GFCI was doing its job at protecting you from a dangerous shock.

Old 01-20-17, 05:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Terminology: Those were receptacles not plugs you changed. No magical parts in regular receptacles so changing them won't usually help unless you accidentally fix a bad connection. The problem is probably a bad connection at the last working receptacle before the dead receptacles you replaced. Be sure to move any connections stabbed in the back to the screws. If you used back stabs on the new receptacles move them to the screws.