Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

GE Dbl Pole Breaker the little metal tab broke off - Will it still work?

GE Dbl Pole Breaker the little metal tab broke off - Will it still work?

Old 01-21-17, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GE Dbl Pole Breaker the little metal tab broke off - Will it still work?

Hello
I was trying to install a GE 20 Amp double pole breaker today and I figured out I was evidently trying to force the breaker into a non-2-pole slot. In doing so I broke the little metal tab that is near the end of the breaker where it "hooks" onto the side of the panel latch in bar.

I realized I needed to move the breaker to a slot that has a bigger hole so that this metal tab thingy will not prevent the breaker from seating all the way at the latch bar.

Do I need to buy another 20 Amp double pole breaker or is it OK to use with that tab broke off if I get it to a slot where I am making 240 connection?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-17, 10:28 PM
OK thanks Ray... I was not sure. What all does that tab do besides prevent the breaker from going into a single pole slot? Does the tab carry current? I wouldn't think so?

Old 01-21-17, 11:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Honestly I'm a bit confused. Used a lot of GE breakers and never knew there was anything to prevent a breaker from going in the wrong slot. In fact one of the big gotchas with the GE breakers is the half size 2-pole breakers can be put in the wrong place and you end up with 0 volts. Maybe I'm wrong in my answer but it is correct you can't modify a breaker to fit where it shouldn't. Accidental are not that is what you did. Would it work? Yes. Safe? Maybe. I withdraw my previous answer. Wait for the pros.

Old 01-22-17, 12:04 AM
Well I do have the 1-inch wide 2-pole GE 20A breaker. I read another forum earlier where a guy was discussing the GE panel layout.

As a matter of fact I did get the breaker installed. But tomorrow I need to relocate it ... BECAUSE there is only 120 volts at the the 240 volt receptacle.

I left it for tonight as I was frustrated and because I have to move some of the other breakers up or down to allow me to get this double pole into a position where it is able to get onto both bus bars.

I will pickup another 1-inch 2-pole 20a tomorrow at HomeDepot ( I don't have space for a two inch wide one), and make the effort to re-arrange the breakers somehow. Thus getting it into a correct slot where both lugs are connecting instead of the one lug which is giving me only 120v at the receptacle

Old 01-22-17, 12:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
What all does that tab do besides prevent the breaker from going into a single pole slot?
That's about it.

It's not hazardous using the breaker without the tab. Really the only problem is that it could be put in the wrong spot in the future.

Would I use personally use it in my own panel.... yes.
I cannot recommend you use it in your panel. That would be your call.

Old 01-22-17, 09:01 AM
Well it will save me $10.00 not to worry about using it.

Old 01-22-17, 09:38 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Well I do have the 1-inch wide 2-pole GE 20A breaker. I read another forum earlier where a guy was discussing the GE panel layout.

As a matter of fact I did get the breaker installed. But tomorrow I need to relocate it ... BECAUSE there is only 120 volts at the the 240 volt receptacle.
I figured out I was evidently trying to force the breaker into a non-2-pole slot. In doing so I broke the little metal tab that is near the end of the breaker where it "hooks" onto the side of the panel latch in bar.
A 1" wide 2-pole GE breaker would have to be a Type THQP breaker. That little metal tab you speak of would be part of the busbar that the THQP breakers snaps around. The busbars only have those little tabs in spaces designated for use by THQP breakers. This must be an older GE loadcenter with aluminum busbars.

Can you provide a picture of the breaker?

If the tab is a part of the breaker it sounds like you have a CTL tandem breaker not made by GE.