Arrow Hart Murray panel

Old 01-22-17, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Hart Murray panel

I've been reading a few threads on Murray panels so I might as well ask myself I have a 200 amp service the main breaker is going bad..long story short this is 2nd time this happened.. first time was five years ago I lose power on half the house...no power to range or oven... not one triped breaker in the main panel or the sub panel ?? I realize it is the main breaker I wiggle it turn it on and off and everything in the house works..
It's a 200 amp Murray so any suggestions I can't find Murray that looks like my Breaker
It is a 200 amp red breaker with one single throw on it.. I'm pretty good at diagnostic work I used to have a machine shop but this is a little bit out of my specialtie

Last edited by Dave Markman; 01-22-17 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I want to know how to load a picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-17, 10:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 01-23-17, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Make sure it's actually the breaker and not the breaker attachment to the main bus bars. If the connection to the bus bars is bad, then you'll need to replace the whole panel.

Old 01-23-17, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Those red main breakers are known for having problems. One common failure mode is that they will not reset after being turned off (or tripping). Another is overheat damage to the buss connections. There are replacements available for some panels, but as Ben said, you need to be sure the attachment to the buss bars isn't damaged or corroded. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to have the meter pulled so the main can be removed and the buss inspected. At that point you need to be prepared to have the panel replaced if damage is found.

Old 01-23-17, 10:29 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Second dead breaker - time to replace the panel.

At one point Murray was owned by Crouse-Hinds so search under that name. Spares usually stocked by http://www.breakerking.com/breaker_k...olete_book.pdf

Part number is MD200H (MD200V for side wiring). Not "legal" but it is interesting that this eBay listing states that a new Siemens will fit - Siemens QS2150 or QS2200 Replacement for Murray Crouse Hinds MDH2150 or MDH2200 and same comment on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-QS220...t&pageNumber=1

Old 01-24-17, 12:04 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Those red main breakers are known for having problems. One common failure mode is that they will not reset after being turned off (or tripping). Another is overheat damage to the buss connections. There are replacements available for some panels, but as Ben said, you need to be sure the attachment to the buss bars isn't damaged or corroded. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to have the meter pulled so the main can be removed and the buss inspected. At that point you need to be prepared to have the panel replaced if damage is found.
All of the above......Agreed!!

Siemens does make some replacement main breakers for these old panels, but some are not identical. Those old stab-in main breakers were awful. Now you know why the old popularly priced Arrow-Hart Murray panel was so popular,