power lose

Old 04-25-01, 11:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I'm losing power to certain lines in my house. At first I thought maybe I had a few bad breakers. I have replaced all of the breakers except the main (100amp service) When I lose power the breakers don't trip. The only way to restore power is to shut off the main and then back on. Could it be that the main needs to be changed. I was thinking that maybe one of the main breakers was cabone arcing??? With one breaker being bad wouldn't I lose power to half of the bus bar? Who hard is it to change the main breakers and should I attemp to do this myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-01, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hooo-ey! I don't believe a non-electrician should try to replace their own main breaker under most circumstances! This is extrordinarily dangerous!

I would tend to believe that you may well have a bad main breaker. Since you lose some but not all circuits, and since resetting the main brings them back, it seems to strongly suggest a weak main. If the connection to the busses or the main cable lugs is of poor electrical integrity, you will get heat and often will get carbon deposits, which further reduce connection integrity. Heat will cause tripping.

If and only if you have a main service disconnect upstream of the panel you're having trouble with you may be able to safely do this yourself. That way you could kill the whole panel and the conductors which feed it. Otherwise the only safe way to do this is to have the utility company cut your power first. Usually they will require an inspection certificate showing them the work passed before they will cut you back on. This seems like an excellent time to call an electrician. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $150 - $200 for this type of repair. Hope that helps.

Juice