Hot Tub Question Re: Direct Burial Wire

Old 01-28-17, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Tub Question Re: Direct Burial Wire

Greetings Gurus!

I was given a working hot tub by a friend who is moving and didn't want to leave it behind. All I have to do is run the power and add water & chemicals.
While researching my options with regard to the wire, I came across a product called "8/3 UF W/GR UNDERGROUND DIRECT BURIAL WIRE".
Now, I understand that the ground wire has to be insulated and can not be the bare wire included inside the PVC jacket. But, what about using this product and running a separate insulated single ground wire along with the product in question in the conduit/PVC. Would this not meet the requirements?

And before you bring to my attention that I don't need to run it in conduit since it's specifically made to be "directly buried", the ground wire would still need to be run inside of a conduit and that being the case, I would simply run both the direct bury cable and the ground wire together.

The reason I'm even asking this question is because I can get a spool of the product in question for 1/4 the price it costs to buy the lengths I need of each of the 4 wires separately.

Also, the literature that came with my hot tub specifies that the wires be as follows:
Line 1: Black #8 Copper
Line 2: Red #8 Copper
Neutral: White #8 Copper
Ground: BARE #8 Copper

Why would it specifically list the ground as using Bare wire? I'm confused.

Thanks for your time!

Steve
Chandler, AZ

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-17, 07:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It will be a local call by the inspector. Some localities will permit UF-B to the disconnect, but THHN from the disconnect to the spa in water tight flex.

Old 01-28-17, 08:00 AM
Luckily, there is no inspection required. I guess my biggest concern is making sure this type of wire will be safe for this type of application. Does the "direct burial" type of material really hold up well? I mean, the soil and water doesn't degrade the jacket over time?

Thanks for your time, Chandler.

Steve

Old 01-28-17, 09:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Nope, that is what is made for. No junctions, no bare spots, no connections below grade. One solid run will be fine, then change to THHN at your disconnect with a whip.

Old 01-28-17, 09:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Grounds wires do not need to be in the same sheath, raceway, or conduit even as the conductors but as Larry said that is the AHJ's call. #8 UF is limited to 40 amps (60 column). Is 40 amps enough for the Spa?

Old 01-28-17, 09:26 AM
40A is what the owner's manual calls for.

This makes my day! My expenses related to this "free" spa just went down a lot!

Thanks, guys!