Heat press iron repair

Old 01-29-17, 10:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat press iron repair

Hi, I'm new here and signed up because I have a problem with my T-Shirt Heat Press. Signing up for doityourself sounded like a good idea, because i do most of the repairs around the house myself , but when it comes to electrical work, I'm such an amateur .. that's why I got this problem i the first place:

The switch on my T-Shirt Heat Press broke ( got to hot and fell apart)
so I got a new switch which was easy to install .. the problem is I messed around with a screw driver on the old one while the power was till plugged up.. yeah .. I know Amateur Mistake :NO NO NO:
.. causing a little bang and some sparks ..

So when I installed the new Switch the heat press stays cold even though the little indicator light on the switch itself turns on ( not the extra ON indicator light ..because the only switch didn't have its own on light)

When I took the press apart ( as much as I can take it apart) , I noticed there is no fuse .

The cables look all intact and there is not much mechanics / electric inside the press, So I don't have any idea what could be broken. Since I hooked up the cables-clips of the switch in the same oder which I took them off the old one and the indicator-on light comes on I'm assuming thats right but I don't want to test them and switch them around to maybe cause another short.

Does somebody have an idea?

Here some pics :

Name:  IMG_9095.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  21.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9093.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  16.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9094.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  21.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9092.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  27.5 KB

Old 01-29-17, 11:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to the electrical forum here.

My guess is you wired the switch wrong.
In looking at your pictures..... how did you connect the new switch ?
Stuck the wires in the holes ?
Weren't there slide connectors on the old switch ?

We can probably help you but we need to see the wiring a little better.

Old 01-29-17, 11:30 PM
M
@PJmax thank you for your help.
Would the indicator /On light still come on when the wires are connected wrong ?
So now I took the slide connectors off the switch .. wouldn't now which one goes on which know..
Is it safe ( for the press if I haven't already burned it out ) to just text which wires goes on which connector ?

Name:  press.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 01-30-17, 01:16 AM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Mactube, notice in your first photo that a wire is not attached in the third photo of your first post.

Old 01-30-17, 01:50 AM
Group Moderator
Post a few more pictures. We need to see where the wires come from.

Unfortunately you can't just test them as the wrong position will burn that switch up almost instantly.

Old 01-30-17, 04:40 PM
M
@Electroman it my just appear like that in the picture, the wires are all connected, except for the ones going to the on/off switch now. ( I disconnected them now)

So If I connected those wires wrong to the switch the fuse in my house fuse box will blow out right ? Or what would burn out on the device if there is no fuse?
As you can hopefully see in the new pictures:
1. One wire ( connected to the right pole of the power plug ( if the thinner part of the plug is on the bottom when you look at it from the front) is going straight to the (new) on/off switch.
2. the middle wire of the power plug is going from the pole to a metal base inside the press ( I'm assuming its the ground wire , because the base is part of the frame of the press.. its hart to see it on the pictures, because its in the center of the press)
3. The left wire from the power plug ist going straight to the heat plate of the press the connector pole goes into the plate where I'm assuming is the coil.

- On the second pole of the heat plate is a wire connected ( red) that has the ( old ) indicator light connected and then goes to the 3. pole of the power plug. Also on that pole is another red wire with a slide connector going to the on/off switch.

Everything looks pretty simple and nothing looks burned.
If I would have connected the slide connecters wrong the light on the switch wouldn't come on right ?

Hope you have an idea and didn't get confused by my "own made up terms " sorry !
Name:  IMG_9105.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  42.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9106.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  36.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9107.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  25.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9108.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  25.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9109.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  26.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9110.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9110.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  IMG_9112.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  40.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9114.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  25.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9122.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  26.3 KB
Name:  IMG_9123.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  40.0 KB

Old 01-31-17, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Nice pictures.

Let me look them over.

There is a thermostat on this unit. When it's heating the red light comes on next to the switch...... is that correct ?

Can you find the power cord wiring ?
There should be a white and black. The black should go to directly to the lighted switch.
White is probably spliced. It should go to one side of the heating element.... the terminal without the red wire. It should also come to the lighted switch.

Is this the power cord inlet ?

Name:  iron.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  24.4 KB

Old 01-31-17, 10:37 PM
M
@PJmax you know what ... this might be correct, that the light only comes on when I turn on the thermostat. For some reason I thought it would only come on when I switch the unit on, because thats what the new On/Off Switch is doing. The light of the switch turns on once I flip the switch.

There is a wire from the power cord inlet going directly to the switch, which is the right one in this picture. Yes Thats the back of the Power Inlet. The wires are all covered with the white fabric like in the pictures, so I can'r really see the colors . Only the red one and that one goes from the left pole to the heating unit as you described and from the same pole to the switch. Should I remove some of the fabric to find out the colors ?

The thermostat still has a little click to it when I turn it.
How can I find out whats not working?
I borrowed a Digital Multimeter .. just don't have any idea how it works, to what I should set it and where to holt the pins on!?

If I could find out if the power reaches the right parts / wires and if I connect the slide connectors right, I can exclude some errors. Then I would separate the base from the heating unit as well. ( As off now the knob of the thermostat doesn't come off so I can separat all pieces and I don't want to force it yet because it feels like it could break.. and I'm not to sure if I can get a new thermostat as easy as I found a new switch.

According to this picture, how are the poles of the switch label ?

Where do I connect the slide connectors ?

Name:  sign.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  Multim.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  33.1 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: