Generator back up system acting up all of a sudden?

Old 02-01-17, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator back up system acting up all of a sudden?

i have had this set up for over a year and everything was working fine until today.
its a generac 7500 watt system using the appropriate lines and a interlock kit. the setup was used last week for 3 hours without a hiccup and today i needed it again and nothing! the generator would run great without it plugged into the house. if i connected the power line to the house it would kill the generator in less than a minute? it acted like it would run out of gas. if i pulled the plug and fired it back up it would run fine. nothing has changed since the last time i ran it? im at a loss and have no idea where to start to diagnose?
the generator has the bonded neutral removed btw.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...uestion-2.html

i had trouble getting it to work properly but i finally did and it worked fantastic until today.

Old 02-01-17, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Did you have a heavy load on the generator ?

Old 02-01-17, 08:49 PM
My setup is
General 7500 (bonded neutral removed)
A 4 prong L14-30 generator extension cord
A generac inlet box
Romex
Interlock kit
Panel

I've used this setup at least a half a dozen times and it's always worked great. Why all of a sudden would hooking this up to the house would it shut it off? I've changed nothing since it last ran?

Old 02-01-17, 08:54 PM
No pjmax, the generator fuse was off. I did not have a chance to turn anything on before it would stall.

Old 02-02-17, 09:01 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
It runs fine until you connect it to the house,I would suggest that you have a look at the other end of the cable and how it is connected there,if possible disconnect at that end and try the genny and see what happens then,if it run now look farther into the panel connection.
Geo

Old 02-04-17, 02:20 PM
today i was able to work on this project some. it seem even if i hook a receptacple tester up to the genny (with the house connection OFF) it dies seconds after? im thinking something is going on with the genny.
why would the genny just stop working correctly all of a sudden?

i have had the bonded neutral removed so that when i do hoop it up to the house it becomes bonded throught the houses system. now it shuts off the genny no matter what i hook to it?

Old 02-04-17, 03:11 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
I'm of no help but I have the same gen hooked up the same way and no problems. If your gen worked fine before now, I think something has gone wrong in the gen itself. You most likely will need to take it to a service center to have it checked.

Edit: It may be the automatic voltage regulator (AVR). Not sure if that would kill the engine if it failed.

Old 02-04-17, 03:16 PM
I figured it out. The oil level sensor is shot. Apparently when you remove the bonded neutral on these generators it disables the oil sensor. As soon as I plugged something in the sensor was connected again and would shut it off.
I discovered this by disconnecting the oil sensor and it ran perfectly again!
Wooooooooo!

Remember this for future reference patt!

Old 02-04-17, 03:33 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
Good you found the problem. I was just getting ready to reply again that the oil pressure sensor may be bad.

Old 02-04-17, 03:53 PM
The first thing I checked was the oil level, but when it ran with nothing plugged in it through me off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: