Replacing wire in electric baseboard heater?

Old 02-04-17, 11:27 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing wire in electric baseboard heater?

I have a Singer electric baseboard heater which stopped functioning. When I took of an access panel, I found that a wire connected to the central heating element had failed. It looks like it heated up, the insulation hardened and cracked, the stranded wire now has green corrosion, it is brittle and the connection to a crimped terminator broke.

Should I simply make a replacement wire with crimped terminator?

Should I solder the wire, and not use a crimped connector?

Should I try not to repair the baseboard heater and replace the unit?

What I have is:

wire cap ---- wire --- crimped terminator (female) <slid over> terminator (male) --- heater core

What failed is the wire with the crimped terminator.

I don't know the reason the wire heated and failed... I am concerned, not sure if I should repair or replace.

Old 02-05-17, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,867 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It is very common for wires to burn and connections to fail at the heating elements.
It's caused by a loose connection and high current flow.

If the end of the heating element isn't burned then you can use a short piece of high heat wire to replace what burned. You'll need to crimp on a good terminal that fits tight. A butt connector can be used to crimp the two pieces of wire together.

Old 02-05-17, 08:58 AM
B
FYI - You can get "high heat" wire at an appliance repair business. This is what goes into kitchen ranges. They also have (or should have) high heat terminals.

Old 02-05-17, 04:02 PM
M
Thank you for the feedback. It gives me to confidence to replace the wire, rather than replace the entire unit.

The end of the heating element is a copper shaft, about 1/32 of an inch... small, but solid. The terminator I was guided to buy from my local HW store is called a snap connector. Not sure how snug of a fit it will provide... Any suggestions on the proper terminator for a wire pin?

Also, they did not have wire rated for high heat (thanks, btw for mentioning that) so I am going to go to an electrical supply this week and check it out or find it on line.

Old 02-05-17, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,867 Posts
You can also find high heat wire at an appliance parts store.

Something like this....
Whirlpool 279457 Heating Element Connecting Wire - AppliancePartsPros.com

You should need and be using a terminal like this....

Name:  burner-terminals.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  10.3 KB

Old 02-05-17, 08:59 PM
A
Received 229 Likes on 210 Posts
You can adjust the spade-like connection with the curled up edges to increase the pressure for a snug fit on the pads that will fit inside. This is trial and error using pliers.

Over time the previous connection loosened up from the repeated expansiona nd contraction each time the heater cycled on.

You cannot use solder, that would melt in the high heat environment.

Some crimp lug terminals need a special crimping tool, not just a needle nosed pliers, to hold the wire at the narrow end with the fold over tabs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: