Locating break in electric cable

Old 02-05-17, 10:17 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Locating break in electric cable

I am often called upon to help people with, for example, a vacuum cleaner which no longer works. First thing I do, I check continuity of the live and neutral wires between the plug and the machine. Most of the problems are just of a continuity nature along the 10-20 foot cable, but where? , Not always at the ends. Just cutting in the middle, and checking both ends for continuity, is pretty destructive.
Until now, I use a pin to pierce the wire covering and measure for continuity from there to one of the ends, and test the continuity until I find it, therefore not having to cut the cable unnecessarily. Works fine, but I don't like the fact that there are now a number of tiny holes in the wire covering. Is there any better method? I tried using a compass to see if there is only a swing in the live portion of the wire, butdoesn' seem to work.
HELP

Old 02-05-17, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
If break is anyplace other than near plug I would replace the cord.

Old 02-05-17, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
I would agree. Replacing the cord would be the easiest and safest way to make the repair.

Old 02-05-17, 08:37 PM
A
Received 79 Votes on 71 Posts
Most of us on this forum follow North American codes and practices so what you do does not sit well with us. If you are in a location where people can't afford to replace cords you are in a tough spot. Pinholes promote air and water getting to the conductors shortening the life of the remaining cable. Hopefully you are finding a way to seal them afterwards.

I'm not sure but I think a regular compass is either not sensitive enough or only works with DC and a current flowing. Can you get a non-contact AC voltage tester? Lots of times that will help find a break in a cable as long as it is not metal covered.

Old 02-06-17, 03:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Non contact tester will only detect a break in the hot wire, not the neutral. As all have said, replacing the cord is the best and cheapest solution in the long run. You can run up quite a labor bill attempting to find a break mid cord, when a replacement costs so little, and it is safer.

Old 02-06-17, 06:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
The only way I know of to non-destructively find a cable break is to use a time domain reflectometer (TDR). The problem with these for your application is that they have a minimum cable length of somewhere like 3-5 meters, and they can be quite expensive. For a couple hundred dollar price it can find the broken spot within +/- 1 meter roughly. For a price over a thousand dollars you can find a break down to the centimeter.

Old 02-06-17, 06:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For repair work, you can "cheat". And that is a wire break with an appliance is most likely near the plug. People pull on the wire instead of the plug to remove it from an outlet.

I used to do "factory authorized service" and we would always replace the entire cord if it was bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: