problem with electrical outlets

Old 04-26-01, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

How do i know if unsafe wiring condition exists in my house.
None of the electrical outlets in my kitchen are working. I cant use small appliances like blenders or mixers not even the microwave. Can n e one suggests what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-01, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) Unplug everything from the outlets.

2) Check the breaker. Set it ALL THE WAY off, then set it on. Try plugging in a lamp or something you know works and see if it now works or it trips the breaker again.

3) Look ALL OVER THE HOUSE for a GFI and reset each one you find. Try the lamp again.

Does the breaker trip when you try to reset it (before you can even test it)?
Do any GFI's trip when you try to reset them?

If the lamp works, plug each appliance back in one at a time, operate it, and see if anything trips.

Post back with findings.

Old 04-27-01, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do they have power with nothing running? Or are they just plain dead? Did they once work? If so, what was going on when they quit? Did the breaker trip?

Tripped GFCI receptacles often take out other receptacles, and often the tripped GFCI causing the problem isn't even in the same room as the dead receptacles, and many folks have no idea what is going on. As AbNORMal said, look all over the house for a GFCI.

Another problem that occurs is when the person who wired your receptacles once upon a time used the push-in connectors on the back of the receptacles. These connections often break down over time, and all receptacles downstream will go out. I can give you further advice on finding one of these, but until I know the answers to some of the questions we've asked I may be wasting ink.

Let us know more, we'll help as much as possible.

Juice