Washing Machine and Receptacle Adapter

Old 02-11-17, 08:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine and Receptacle Adapter

Hi,

I would like to plug my washing machine (Whirlpool Duet) and a Floodstop FS 3/4-H90 Version 4 automatic shutoff valve into a 15-Amp Heavy Duty Triplex Outlet adapter.

The washing machine probably pulls about 10amps (it's a typical front loader) and the shut off valve is rated at 2 amps. So, that's a total of 12amps. I don't this will cause a problem, but if someone can just confirm this for me, I would be greatly appreciative.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-17, 08:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you also have a gas drier plugged into it? If not and you need more than two plug-ins it would be beter to install a two gang box and two duplex receptacles.

Old 02-12-17, 06:50 AM
P
Received 94 Votes on 74 Posts
It's not going to hurt anything using the adapter. If you overload the circuit the breaker will trip and you'll know for sure you are pulling to many amps through that circuit. If this is a newer home the washer circuit should be at lest 20A.

Old 02-12-17, 08:47 AM
S
No gas dryer. I do have an electric dryer, but it's on a totally different circuit.

The only receptacle available is a single round one that the washing machine plugs in to, that's it. It looks very similar to this outlet I found at Home Depot. Can I convert it to this Duplex Power Outlet simply by rewiring it?

I've certainly replaced outlets before, I'm just not sure if the wiring for the washing machine is different than a typical outlet in the house.

Old 02-12-17, 10:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That must be a very old installation. Simplex receptacles were used where grounds were required in a laundry before houses has receptacles with grounds. You do not need a 20 amp receptacle shown in your picture even if it is a 20 amp simplex receptacle or 20 amp breaker. Unless you are in Canada only a 15 amp receptacle is required. However to meet current code it should be a GFCI receptacle.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 519
Size:  52.3 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 02-12-17 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 06:41 AM
S
Thanks, but it's really not an old installation. We had this space converted to a laundry room when we first moved in about 11.5 years ago.

I'll make that switch when I install the automatic shut off valve.