bonding new inground pool

Old 04-26-01, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We are installing a new inground pool, and the code says that all metal must be bonded with a continuous length of 8 gauge copper wire. I started at the northwest corner of the pool on a piece of reinforcing rod and went around the pool working clockwise. The pool shed where the electric panel will be (and where the bonding wire must terminate) is off the southwest corner of the pool. My question is: Do I need to go back to the original piece of reinforcing rod that I started with to make a continous closed circle around the pool and then to the shed, or can i go directly to the shed from the southwest corner of the pool (so even though everything is connected together with one wire, the pool is not completely enclosed in wire---there is about 10 feet where no wire is present). Does this make sense to anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-01, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Pool

No I don't think you have to go back to the starting point. You do need to bond the ladder, lites, motors, diving bords,drains,and metal fences that are within 5 feet
I hope that helps

Old 04-26-01, 08:13 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You have a few misconceptions as to the requirements of the bonding grid. Notice I said bonding grid, not bonding ground. It is not the intent to connect the bonding grid to a grounding source such as a ground rod, nor is it the intent to connect this bonding grid to the electrical grounding system of the electrical system.

Although there are a few incidental continuity paths between the bonding grid and the electrical grounding systems, the bonding grid is not intended to be a part of the electrical grounding system.

The intent of a pool's bonding grid is to make all pieces of metals associated to the pool including but not limited to any slides, ladders, metal drains, metal motor casings, etc. together as one entity to ensure no difference of potential in case of an electrical short that may energize the pool or its contents.

In reading your post I take it that you have a fiberglass sided pool with metal re-inforcing rods buried in the earth to support the pool sides. This metal re-enforcing rods are the source of the bonding grid.

All that is required is to run a # 8 bare copper conductor from the bonding lugs of your ladders, metal diving board stands, metal casings of pool pumps etc. to the metal re-enforcing rods.

Nowhere in the NEC does it say that this #8 bare solid wire must be continuous.

Nowhere in the NEC does it say that this # 8 bare solid wire is to be connected to a ground rod or electrical grounding bar of an electrical panel.

See the following copy of a section of the NEC pertaining to what you mentioned.

680-22. Bonding
It shall not be the intent of this section to require that the No. 8 or larger solid copper bonding conductor be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode, but only that it shall be employed to eliminate voltage gradients in the pool area as prescribed.

(b) Common Bonding Grid. The parts specified in (a) shall be connected to a common bonding grid with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than No. 8. Connection shall be made by exothermic welding or by pressure connectors or clamps that are labeled as being suitable for the purpose and are of the following material: stainless steel, brass, copper, or copper alloy. The common bonding grid shall be permitted to be any of the following:
1. The structural reinforcing steel of a concrete pool where the reinforcing rods are bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or the equivalent
2. The wall of a bolted or welded metal pool
3. A solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than No. 8
4. Rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal conduit
Structural reinforcing steel or the walls of bolted or welded metal pool structures shall be permitted as a common bonding grid for nonelectrical parts where connections can be made in accordance with Section 250-8.

Hope this helps

Wg