GFCI help

Old 02-18-17, 01:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI help

All of my outside gfci outlets won't work and they won't reset. I have a
Retractable awning plugged in to the one in the back, it has a weather proof cover. Also my sun room that apparently on the same circuit doesn't have
Power. There is a ceiling van that won't come on in that room. The breakers aren't tripped. Help me

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-17, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

How many actual GFI receptacles are there ?
Have you searched the house for any additional ones ?

There should only be one per circuit and the rest of the receptacles should be regular type connected to the output of the one GFI.

You could have one circuit run to multiple locations with multiple GFI's but then each GFI receptacles would only trip locally. One wouldn't affect the others and they wouldn't all be out at the same time if one tripped.

Usually you would start by unplugging anything in the problem circuit.
If the awning a plug in.... unplug it.

Old 02-18-17, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Unplug all items . Try to reset. Lookin garage, bathrooms and behind furinture for another gfci. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-18-17, 02:31 PM
T
I have 3 outside gfci, 2 in the front and one in the back.. I went through the entire house and found every gfci receptical and unplugged everything. Then I tested and reset them all. Was able to reset the front 2 gfci and they now work. But the one in the back will not reset and the sun room that is next to it doesn't have power either.

Old 02-18-17, 02:35 PM
T
I don't know if this matters but there is a gfci receptical installed right into my breaker box. It has power but it won't reset either.

Old 02-19-17, 07:48 AM
B
GFCI's are typically installed in garages, bathrooms, basements, outside, and in kitchens.

And one GFCI can feed "regular looking" outlets. In some cases (not everybody does what is right), a bathroom GFCI may feed outside outlets. Or a garage GFCI may feed outside outlets.

Anyway no telling what they may have done! So might want to try unplugging more things in the above mentioned rooms or map out what is what with your circuit breakers/GFCI's.

FYI - I prefer to install 20 GFCI's around the house, not a one of them feeding any other "regular" outlets. Then no problem finding which GFCI is tripped - it is the GFCI I am using! This costs more money, but makes daily life much less frustrating.

And hint: As a rule, the GFCI in the garage will be behind, the largest and most difficult to move, stack of boxes.

Old 02-19-17, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
a gfci receptacle installed right into my breaker box.
A GFI circuit breaker IN the panel or a GFI receptacle under the panel ?

Old 02-19-17, 01:03 PM
T
It's a gfci receptical installed directly into the breaker box, on the side of it.

Old 02-19-17, 01:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It's a gfci receptical installed directly into the breaker box, on the side of it.
If it is on the side of it it is not installed in the breaker box. It is installed on the side of the breakers box presumably in its own box. Very different.
It has power but it won't reset either.
If you used a non contact tester you really haven't tested it. They are worthless for real testing. Use a multimeter, preferably analog, to test it or just plug a lamp into it.

Old 02-19-17, 01:55 PM
T
There is a plug in it already and it has power but the test reset functions won't work, same as the gfci receptical on my back patio. They both won't reset, the gfci receptical on my breaker panel has power but won't test or reset either.

Additionally as I've explained before the sun room near the patio gfci receptical has a ceiling van in there that won't com on either.

Old 02-19-17, 03:02 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Open the receptacle on the breaker box. Does it have wires on the load side? If so it feeds something else. If there are wires on the load side using a multimeter (or neon test light or solenoid voltage tester) check the voltage on the load side.