Home inspection report- neutral question?

Old 02-23-17, 02:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home inspection report- neutral question?

As a result of a home inspection the inspector stated that "Neutral wires are double together on the neutral buss in the main electrical panel." I don't understand because this is how the panel was initially wired and no changes have been made. Is this a code violation? Is there a fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-17, 02:44 PM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Neutral Buss Bar

There should only be one wire per tap on the neutral buss.

Old 02-23-17, 03:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I don't understand because this is how the panel was initially wired and no changes have been made. Is this a code violation? Is there a fix?
This was a code violation when it was done. The fix is easy. If room move the second neutrals in a hole to any open spaces. If no openspaces double up the grounds (that is code compliant) to provide more spaces for the neutrals. If you still don't have enough spaces add a ground bar and move the grounds to it.

Old 02-23-17, 04:34 PM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
How old is the house? At one time back in the 70's I don't believe that was a violation, so no need to make a change.
IMO
Geo

Old 02-23-17, 09:00 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 49 Posts
It may or may not be a code violation (as Geo mentioned), but in terms of buying the house, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's a project you want to jump into at some point once you've moved in - or hire an electrician to do it along with whatever other new outlets/lights/etc you want, you can. But as far as inspection reports go - if that's the biggest issue, jump on the house!

In my opinion, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Old 02-25-17, 12:17 PM
Received 45 Votes on 36 Posts
"Neutral wires are double together on the neutral buss in the main electrical panel."
What was far more common in the '60s and '70s was having the equipment grounding conductor and neutral from the same circuit in the same hole. It wasn't a code violation back then. If you read the instructions on a new modern panel today, some manufacturers allow up to 3 solid equipment grounding conductors of the same size in 1 hole. As a general rule, you should limit it to 2.