Sub Panel Project

Old 02-22-17, 09:03 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sub Panel Project

This is a great website! I have read the rules and sub panel diagrams. I have been browsing and let me start off saying I know how to wire the sub panel thanks to the research here.

Lets start with my project info

Location - Raiford, FL

200 Amp Main - Mobile Home Exterior Panel
125 Amp Sub Panel - Want either 90 or 100 AMP Breaker at main

35 Ft total length from mail pole to inside building (12 x 30 Wooden Shed)

I build custom holsters and run [commercial link removed] This project is being built for my new shop. While a 90-100 amp setup is more than I need in the future I may expand and need the additional space and power.

From the exterior panel to the shed will be a undergound run. like I said 35 ft in total length box to box (this includes up shed and pole). I'd like to run 2" PVC SCH 80. I do not want a direct burial cable as I just dont want to chance any issues in the future.

What size/kind of wire will I need? My search says I could use a 2-2-2-4 MH Feeder wire on a 90 amp at main but I am not a electrician and wanted some input. I know enough to do this but not enough to be able to know and identify my best option here.

I hope I gave all info needed, if not I apologize in advance.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-22-17 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Remove commercial link.
Old 02-22-17, 10:57 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
MHF cable is a great product for this application because it can be used indoors and outdoors, above and under ground. Underground it can be direct buried or pulled through conduit. Indoors and outdoors above ground it must be in conduit. You can do a continuous conduit run for the entire length or you can just do conduit stubs from the bottom of the trench up to the panel on either end. It is acceptable for a 90A panel feeder in the #2 aluminum size.

Old 02-22-17, 11:46 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
If using conduit panel to panel there's no need to use direct bury rated wire such as MHF. It is more cost effective to use aluminum XHHW-2 and make up the conductor's needed. Sch 80 conduit is only needed where subject to physical damage. Most likely Sch 40 will do.

Old 02-22-17, 04:57 PM
D
Thank y'all for the information.

I'm not all that experienced in the wire Seles film so bare with me.

If I use individual conductors, can these still be purchased color coded (white, bare, red, black) ?

I'm all for cheaper as long as its right.

Old 02-22-17, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Wires #4 and larger all come in black. You tape the ends to identify the conductors.

Old 02-22-17, 05:25 PM
D
That's why I couldn't find correct colors 😂😂😂

Old 02-23-17, 09:53 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If I use individual conductors, can these still be purchased color coded (white, bare, red, black) ?
Yes, but by special order only. It just isn't worth the time, effort and cost for a small project. Use the colored phasing tape.

Old 02-25-17, 08:53 PM
D
Hey guys I'm all wired up minus 2 lights.

Do I need 2 ground rods on the shed? I have (1) 8ft rod installed. Do I need to add a second one 6ft apart from the first or is 1 enough?

Old 02-25-17, 09:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do I need 2 ground rods on the shed? I have (1) 8ft rod installed.
Only if required by the inspector. Two rods are only required if soil conductivity is too low but the equipment to measure that is expensive. Ask your inspector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: