Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

About to start electrical work as I finish my basement - rapid fire Q's

Old 02-24-17, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, my basement was previously finished as a large open room. I am just about done framing walls for a game room, 1/2 bathroom, and small storage room.

I was hoping I could rapid fire some questions I have seen conflicting or incomplete info on in youtube tutorials. I am in the state of Maine if that matters and in a small town.

I am not asking these questions because I havent researched and to make this quick I wont always put what conflicting info I saw.

1. Do I need to use nail plates where electrical wires run through the center of a 2x4 stud?

2. Do they leave a bulge in the drywall?

3. Is there a limit on how close an outlet is to a corner?

4. How many inches should there be from bottom of outlet box to the floor? If the code is a minimum, what is most common? I would measure mine but I have a suspicion from info I saw that code has changed from when mine was built.

5. Are there requirements on the size of a service loop?

6. How many inches of wire should there be in the box? 6" or 8"?

7. The bedroom closet is 3x6 feet.. code makes it sound like I need an outlet on each wall longer than 24".. is that true I would literally need an outlet on each wall of a closet?

8. Staples for wires are required every 4' - does that apply as a cable is running through studs?

Things I have found that maybe you guys can fact check?

-Need an outlet every 12'
-Need an outlet within 6' of each door
-Need a staple within 8" of each box and every 4 feet.
-I can use a 20 amp breaker with 15 amp outlets.
-outlets must be tamper resistant type
-Must use GFI outlet for bathroom
-Sheath of wire should extend 1/4" minimum into the elctrical box
-Saniflow toilet can run off the same circuit as bathroom outlets (20amp) must be a GFI circuit.

Thanks for any help - I have someone helping me tomorrow who has experience and plan to have an electrician over to inspect work and hook up a subpanel for the new circuits.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-17, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
Nail plates are only needed if the cable is closer than 1 1/4/ to the face of the stud.

They do leave a slight bulge.

Freestanding wall greater that 2 foot like between two doors need a receptacle.

At least 6" of free conductor in the box

Holes will substitute for staples on long horizontal runs.

No need for service loops outside the box.

There is no limit close to a corner. You do need room for the cover plate.

There is no specific mounting height. Typically it is hammer high so there is no need to mea sure each box.

Old 02-24-17, 02:56 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
#1, You should have pulled permits for this work and had inspections to make it legal.
100% sure this "electrician" is going to sign off on work done by other people, most will not do that, it's there license on the line.

Old 02-24-17, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
1. No, only where cabling is closer than 1.25" to the nailing surface of the stud.

2. Not if you hammer them in well.

3. No

4. Installer preference. Code requirement is anything less than 6' 7" if installed in the wall or less than 24" from the baseboard if installed in the floor.

5. Essentially, don't get carried away.

6. 6" minimum OR 3" past the opening of the box, whichever is longer.

7. Inside the closet, no receptacles are required, any installed are optional and not subject to spacing rules. On the outside wall of the closet (which I assume is a living/bed room), you need to follow 6/12 rule (see below)

8. NM cable must be secured at intervals not exceeding 4.5' Securing can be accomplished using a bored hole, staple, stacker clip, etc.

6/12 rule: In general living spaces the minimum spacing for receptacles is one within 6' of any break in the wall (door, archway) and every 12' thereafter. This measurement is taken horizontally along the baseboard and continues around corners. Isolated wall spaces (such as between two doors) greater than 24" require at least one receptacle.

The exact number of inches between the box and the first staple depend on the type of box and type of box clamps, but 6-8" is safe.

15A receptacles are allowed on a 20A circuit as long as there is more than one receptacle on the circuit. Dedicated circuits must match the breaker

All receptacles in living spaces must be TR type

Bathroom receptacles require GFCI protection which can be provided by a GFCI receptacle.

Wire sheath is OK

We need to know the electrical requirements for the sewage pump to tell what type of circuit can supply it.

Old 02-25-17, 04:48 AM
Joes reply has me a little concerned now. I do have a building permit and I have a separate permit for plumbing. My code enforcement officer is the plumbing inspector. Should there be another permit for electrical? My code enforcement officer didnt mention that and he knew there would be electrical work if a bathroom was involved. Does an electrician even need to sign off on my work or does the code guy take a look before I close up the walls?

Thanks for attacking the rapid Qs!

Old 02-25-17, 05:02 AM
One other thought.. if I am supposed to attach the wire every 4.5 feet, how would someone go about doing that on a 20 foot run parallel to a floor joist with a finished ceiling? I can see from my furnace room into the floor joists but once I leave that room the ceiling is finished and I was hoping we could just run wire for lights in that space.

Old 02-25-17, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Most cities require a separate electrical permit. From what I am reading online, Maine state permit can only be pulled by a licensed electrician. You should check with your city/town if they use a state permit or if they have their own city permit.

-Saniflow toilet can run off the same circuit as bathroom outlets (20amp) must be a GFI circuit.
Maybe. If it is not more then 10 amps you are OK.

if I am supposed to attach the wire every 4.5 feet, how would someone go about doing that on a 20 foot run parallel to a floor joist with a finished ceiling?
Wires fished through a finished spaced are not required to be secured.

One last note: If your state is using the 2014 cycle of the NEC all circuits except for the bathroom are required to have AFCI protection.

Old 02-26-17, 05:26 AM
We finished running 500 feet of wire last night, and have most of it stapled down and some more to finish today to clean it up.

Do the staples we use to hold wires need to be anything special? Insulated or specifically rated for a set number of cables? We have been using metal wire staples that are pretty beefy...

Thanks for pointing out the new arc breakers... that just added another $70 to the project

Old 02-26-17, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
The NEC does not call for insulated staples. Some localities do. Regardless they should be listed for use with the wiring method.