Help setting up 3-way switch

Old 03-01-17, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help setting up 3-way switch

I'm trying to install a Lutron 3-way switch but seemed to have screwed it up somehow. To make matters worse, I didn't do the right thing and snap a photo of the wiring used by the old switch first, and now I've got something crossed up.

The problem is that the switch is now accidentally controlling lights in the NEXT room! An electrician friend of mine has mentioned I probably have a traveler and switch leg messed up somewhere. But I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing the problem. Here is a photo of what's going on inside the box:

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  15.4 KB

There are four wire bundles. I have them labeled A, B, C, and D. One of them, C, is black. The white wires (I have them as grey in the image) are all connected together for some reason with a wire connector. Bundles C and D have loose wires (R1 and B1). B1 is hot. The way I *thought* things were originally wired (but this is obviously wrong) was that a spare wire was coming out of the wire connector bringing together the black wires from A, B and C and that this wire (I have it labeled as B2) with R1 were the travelers, with B1 being common. But, even when I put the ORIGINAL switch back in, flipping it controls the lights in the opposing room. So my understanding of how it was originally wired is flawed. FYI: I'm leaving ground wires out of the image above.

I'm a novice, but I've done enough of this that I thought I had a handle on things. Any thoughts on what I've got going on wrong? Or what's the best way to diagnose this?

I'm not sure what bundles A and B are even doing in there, to be honest.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-17, 12:22 PM
Welcome!
You will get more help. For now try to concentrate on the marked/common terminal of the 3-way.
The wire connected to the marked terminal will be either source hot or the (usually black) wire that goes up to the light depending if it's sw1 or sw2. That might help you narrow down the wires.

Old 03-01-17, 12:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Where do A,B,& D go? You said D was hot. C is a three way switch traveler. Either A or B goes to the other room and the other one goes to your lighting that you want to control. You will need to connect the hot wire to the black wire to the cable that goes to the other room to make it hot all the time. That will leave you with a hot wire being broken by the three way switch, supplying only the lights you want to control.

Old 03-01-17, 01:25 PM
Chandler -

I think you got me thinking in the right direction. I'm at work at the moment, but I believe what you're suggesting is right, and it's jogging my memory a bit about how it was originally wired.

I think D (hot) was connected to the black wires coming out of A and B. A second wire came out of that and was connected to common on the 3-way switch. What I've got wrong is the black wire coming out of C is the traveler that should be matched with R1, not bundled together with the blacks coming out of A and B. I didn't realize the travelers were bundled together like that. ANYWAY. With the realization that C contains all the travelers, I bet I got this.

If that's it I'll post back with an updated diagram so any other dummies like me can take something away from this post.

Thanks,

Old 03-01-17, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The travelers are not bundled together with the neutrals. THe red and white traveler go to the brass screws on the 3 way switch. The black wire (hot) will go to the black (adonized) screw on the switch.

Old 03-01-17, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
If all the white wires were connected together.... then this is your wiring.

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  22.8 KB

Old 03-02-17, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys, that was precisely the wiring. However, this wiring works if I put back the ORIGINAL 3-way switch. For some reason the Lutron Occupancy Sensor still isn't working. It clicks (which is presumably the switch functioning inside), but the lights still don't turn on.

Does anyone have any experience with a 3-way version of this?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/64...Fde6wAodYkgKqw

According to their instructional video, I need to also modify the corresponding switch in the 3-way setup. Which I did.

If you can look past the silly music, this is actually a pretty good video showing what to do (and what I believe I did). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfYWUOVfQE

Any other thoughts on how to diagnose this? The instructions mention the device MUST be grounded, but I have the ground wires twisted in with the exposed copper wires in the wall. So as far as I can tell it's grounded.

The symptoms are I can tap the manual button and hear the switch inside click, and if I fip the corresponding switch in the 3-way configuration, the Lutron switch clicks again. So it's getting power. The lights just don't turn on.

Old 03-02-17, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
I didn't see the model number posted for the product.

Old 03-02-17, 09:13 AM
Old 03-02-17, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
The white wire in the the three wire cable remains untouched.
The motion switch must be grounded to work correctly.

Pretty basic at the sensor switch end. At the regular three way switch end..... leave the red traveler wire on the switch. Remove the black traveler and connect it to the common terminal which is the black wire to the lights.

Name:  lutron.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  28.5 KB