Electrifying the patio

Old 03-02-17, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrifying the patio

Hi all,

I have a patio/retaining wall replacement project in the works, and am in the estimating of effort and cost phase.

Name:  rough-electrical-proposal.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  22.0 KB

I essentially want to branch off or run a new circuit from my workshop's subpanel, into new conduit run laterally in front of my workshop to the rear of the new retaining wall, which will then have speakers and a 120v duplex receptacle for outdoor entertaining. Questions are:

Is 18in deep enough for burial of high voltage in PVC conduit?
Can I stack the LV conduit on top of it in the trench?
Are there any special regulations I need to know about to terminate my runs outdoor where they won't be integrated into a building structure?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-17, 02:48 PM
Hi-res version here. Drawings that show relief a bit better here and here.

Old 03-02-17, 03:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is 18in deep enough for burial of high voltage in PVC conduit?
Yes, but if it is GFCI protected 120v/20 amp or less it can be as shallow as 12 inches.
Can I stack the LV conduit on top of it in the trench?
Yes.
Are there any special regulations I need to know about to terminate my runs outdoor where they won't be integrated into a building structure?
They must be GFCI protected. tamper resistant, and in weather resistant boxes.

Old 03-02-17, 07:10 PM
Okay, that is easy. Can I use Romex 12/2 in the conduit or should I run separate conductors? Is 3/4 in an appropriate sized conduit?

Old 03-02-17, 08:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Can I use Romex 12/2 in the conduit or should I run separate conductors?
You can't use NM-b (Romex) in wet locations. Buried conduit is considered a wet location because eventually it will fill with water. You could use UF-b but it is harder to pull and work with. Better to use individual conductors. Either " or " conduit will be okay.

You could also just direct bury UF-b with no conduit except where it enters and leaves the ground.

Old 03-03-17, 07:23 AM
Great, thanks for the nice advice. I'll make up a proper plan and get my permit. Hopefully no underground surprises...

Old 03-03-17, 10:32 AM
Terminating the high voltage run should be easy because the outdoor box has provision for a threaded fitting in the back, which I can pre-thread and then glue to the conduit (assuming I measure and dry-fit properly).

The low voltage is a bit trickier because it has to either a home-run straight from the conduit and terminating on the speaker terminals, or terminating in a box and having a whip run to the speaker from the box. It seems like having the home run would be a better option as installing a box would take a lot more room, plus there would be more fittings to have issues with.

How about putting a T in the conduit at the speaker opening closest to the workshop, then running one cable directly to the speaker opening, glue a threaded end onto the conduit and then putting on a fitting like this, and then finishing the further run the same way? Or would it be best to terminate at a 4 in box and then using a fitting like I linked to to run a whip?

Old 03-03-17, 02:13 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
As Ray pointed out, conduit outside is considered a wet location; it will get water in it. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend ordinary speaker wire here.

Something to consider.

Old 03-03-17, 02:35 PM
This is the stuff I've used before: 16 Gauge 2-Conductor Burial Rated Speaker Cable 100ft CL3

Old 03-05-17, 02:35 PM
No permit yet or completed plans, but I had to finish building my path, so I buried two conduit and taped sandwich bags over the ends and pull cords.

Old 03-05-17, 02:41 PM
Deleted until I rotate the picture

Attached Images   

Last edited by devin; 03-05-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 01:20 PM
Would it be okay to use an outdoor receptacle to branch off of into the conduit? I have a circuit that services a single indoor outlet, and a duplex outdoor outlet. If I can use that I would attach it to the underground conduit and just wire through the receptacle.