Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding new surface mounted socket circuits to 2nd and 3rd Floors

Old 03-03-17, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Myself and a group of friends have taken on a vacant commercial building with the intention of using it as artist studios and an education space.
However the top two floors (2nd and 3rd) have only been used as storage for many years and are lacking in power outlets (3rd has none at all) which will clearly be a problem.

The main constraint on this job is the fact that it is essentially temporary. We have the building on a reduced rent, for a year, possibly slightly longer, before it is totally gutted and turned into flats. This obviously limits the scope of what can be done.

As a result I want all sockets and cables to be clipped direct to walls so as to minimise the amount of installation required and make the materials recoupable when we leave.

There is spare capacity on the CU which is on the ground floor, to add circuits. Iím after advice specifically as to what circuit others would recommend. I anticipate that the sockets will be used mainly for low loads such as phone chargers, radios and laptops and small power tools but I would want to design in capacity for people using electric fan heaters in winter and occasionally large power tools. One room will also be specifically a music practice room so will be running amps. I think somewhere around 4 to 6 KW per floor should be plenty but feel free to say if you think otherwise. So my options appear to me to be the following -

A 2.5mm Final ring on a 32 A MCB from the CU.
The obvious problem is that I would use a lot of my allowed 100 metre sq area on the cable climbing to the floors and back.

or

Two 4mm Radials on a 32A MCB to each of the unsupplied floors from the CU. Taking into account the voltage drop allowance I could still be limited by length.

or

Running a single power up to a small CU on one of the upper floors and running two circuits from there.

Budget is also going to be a very limiting factor. I intend to install the work myself up to Part P specs and then get an electrician to run the necessary checks on it. Seeing as everything will be surface mounted and thus entirely visible I am hoping this would be relatively easy.

Any considered suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-17, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You have opened several different cans of worms between not doing electrical work on a rental space and commercial buildings often needing an actual electrician to do any work within them. Please talk to your landlord and the local AHJ before proceeding.

Old 03-03-17, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
This site is primarily a US based site. You sound like you are in the UK or at least Europe. Rules there are going to differ from US rules.

Old 03-03-17, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I didn't realise this was primarily US based, you are correct I am in the UK, though what Stickshift says is essentially still the case