How close can we come to the electrical panel ?

Old 03-03-17, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How close can we come to the electrical panel ?

Have some Cupboards from a recent Kitchen Reno.. We install some over the Washer & Dryer.. On the Left Facing Wall we have the Electrical Panel placed Horizontally into the Corner.. Have one cabinet leftover which would bring us to 11" out from the Panel.. Plenty of Access & Manouverability to the Panel.. My Question is 11" Allowable / Acceptable distance away from the Panel.. Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-17, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
I read the thread three times and cannot understand where the 11" cabinet comes into the equation. Is this cabinet mounted next to the panel or over or under it ?

Our codes are also a bit different than your CEC (Canadian Electrical Code.)

Old 03-03-17, 07:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please post a picture of the area. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 03-04-17, 08:03 AM
Electrical Panel / Recycled Kitchen Cabinets..

Sorry (ray2047) & (Pjmax) It's iPads & WiFi here.. Your standing looking at the Washer / Dryer with a couple cabinets already Screwed to the Wall over the W / D... The wall on my left is a little better than an Arm's Length away to which the Electrical Panel is located (Horizontally).. I have one more Recycled Kitchen Cabinet to Install which would bring me to 11" of Space between Cabinet & Panel.. My Query is , while there is ample room to access the Electrical Panel , would said Cabinet be to Close to the Panel for the sake of Code Regs... Curious is All..

Old 03-04-17, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Sec. 110-26 of the National Electrical Code (NEC): 1) at least a 3-ft clearance in front of all electrical equipment; 2) a 30 in.-wide working space in front of equipment operating at 600V or less; and 3) minimum headroom clearance of 6 ft or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater.

Old 03-04-17, 08:47 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Panel Clearance

would said Cabinet be to Close to the Panel for the sake of Code Regs..
Yes, per code stated above.

Old 03-04-17, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The OP is in Canada . .

Old 03-04-17, 06:04 PM
how close to the panel

Add to what Pjmax said. Clearance means you can not mount a panel over a counter top, over a washer or dryer or anything else. From the top free space of the panel to the floor, 3' in front of the panel, 30" on the sides of the panel. All of this is working space for repairs and such to the panel.

Old 03-04-17, 07:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure what it means but:
CEC 2-308
(1) A minimum working space of 1M with secure footing shall be provided and maintained about electrical equipment such as switchboards, panelboards, control panels, and motor control centres that are enclosed in metal, except that working space is not required behind such equipment where there are no renewable parts such as fuses or switches on the back and where all connections are accessible from locations other than the back.