Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing plug in wire on a 1/3 hp 4.5 amp older Craftsman bench grinder.

Replacing plug in wire on a 1/3 hp 4.5 amp older Craftsman bench grinder.

Old 03-06-17, 01:19 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Replacing plug in wire on a 1/3 hp 4.5 amp older Craftsman bench grinder.

Not sure if I selected the correct forum for my question.

I need to replace the electrical cord for the above older bench grinder. The current cord is crumbling to pieces. The cord is only a 2-wire cord which I strongly suspect is not the original cord. Is it code to use only a 2-wire cord which I currently have plenty of 16 gauge or would it be best to go with a 3-wire cord instead which I only currently have 18 gauge wire.

If I should go with the 3-wire cord where do I attach the ground wire??

Currently there are 3 wires going to the motor. The black wire from the cord is connected to black wire on one end of the toggle switch. Then the other end of the black wire on the toggle switch then is attached to the black wire going to the motor. The white wire from the cord is attached to the white and red wire going to the motor.

Where would the ground wire go?? 1) attach the red wire to the ground wire from the cord instead of attaching it to the white wire?? 2) find a way to attach the ground wire to the housing of the grinder? or 3) please explain to me how to rewire it for a 3-wire cord.

Manly thanks!!!

Growingdimmer

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-17, 01:46 PM
W
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Cord

Please post a photo of the part of the grinder where the power wire connects.

I would suggest using a replacement cord such as is used for a 120 volt circular saw:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1...n-Cord/3190621

Old 03-06-17, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 566 Posts
Some grinders are called double insulated and don't require a grounded power cord.
With the Craftsman model number we could tell you for sure.

It would not be a problem installing a three wire power cord on that grinder. The ground wire should be firmly attached to a metal part of the motor housing.

A three conductor #16 cord is all that is required.

Old 03-07-17, 07:38 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the two replies received thus far.

One note to PJMax: This morning after rereading my original, I realized that I misstated the last line in the 4TH paragraph. It should have read "The white wire from the power cord is attached to the white and red [B]wires [/B]going to the motor." Meaning there are two wires -one white and one red - that goes to the motor along with the black wire.

Does that change anything about the way I should connect the wiring if I go with the 2-wire with ground power cord???

Sorry if I misled you.
Thanks again,

Growingdimmer