GFCI or something else?

Old 03-07-17, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI or something else?

Hi
A few months ago the master bathroom started flickering like how you have a loose light bulb. It would do this then stop, then do it again the next day and stop and then was fine for a few days then started it again and then went out. I thought it was the light bulb going out but soon found out all outlets and light switches connected to the line to the bathroom did not work anymore.

So I had a friend come out and he said all the outlets were live. There is 1 GFCI that is above the sink. He said since the test button no longer worked to replace it. So I did that. But still nothing worked. This GFCI is different, it is a N A Industries product and has a LED light that was on last night. I plugged in a lamp and nothing, the LED light went off. I plugged in a phone charger and nothing but the LED light stayed on.

I really don't want to hire an electrian as last time I paid $300 for a GFCI replacement that went out in 6 months. But I don't know anything about this stuff. Do you guys have any idea what is going on?

Thanks

Last edited by mom2joshcanpark; 03-07-17 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Found out hubby turned off breaker
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-17, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Sounds like you have a loose or broken wire in either a switch or outlet. Do any of the outlets work that are on that circuit?

Old 03-07-17, 01:02 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you mean lights flickered they should not be on the GFCI. Symptoms are more like a loose connection somewhere. Possibly where power comes in and the lights and receptacle power are both connected before the first GFCI.

First though check the breaker. Be sure it isn't loose and the wire is tight. Then check the neutral bar connection. Try to tighten the screws, don't just look.

Now go to the bathroom and redo all connections. Tighten all screws. Redo any wire nut connections. If there are any wires inserted in to the back of a switch or non GFCI* receptacle move those wires to the screws. If on a switch or receptacle you have both a back stab and a wire on a screw pigtail the wire to the screw.

*You may see wires inserted into the back of a GFCI device but those are not what we call back stabs. There the wires are held by a pressure plate tightened by a screw. That is a good connections. Backstabs are on regular switches and receptacles and are held only by a thin spring strip that can weaken over time and cause an intermittent connection. The latter need to be moved to the screws.

Old 03-07-17, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 513 Votes on 483 Posts
There are many different brands of GFI receptacles. Some have a red light. Some have a green light. With some.... it's ok when the light is on. With others the light on means it has failed. With others the light means it tripped.

Old 03-07-17, 03:06 PM
None of the lights are on the GFCI, I was meaning the hard wired light switches are on the same breaker as the GFCI. The GFCI is at the sink. There is a light switch for shower, light switch on a wall and then a switch for the exhaust fan. Then there are 2 outlets in the bathroom and one on the outside of the bathroom wall (inside the bedroom).

Old 03-07-17, 03:10 PM
No, none of the outlets or switches work.

Old 03-07-17, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
You need to be taking outlets and switches out and looking for loose or broken wires. Start at the last working outlet on circuit. If any wires are back stabbed move them to the screws.