Outlets have slowly stopped working

Old 03-20-17, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlets have slowly stopped working

My family room was built before I moved into the house 20 years ago. Over the years a number of outlets have stopped working. They seem to be failing in sequence. I now have to plug the TV in across the room. This has been happening over a number of years. The outlets were added when the room was finished so they had new wiring when they were built. The breaker is obviously not tripped because the other outlets work and there are no GFI outlets. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
My number one idea is that the push-in / backstab connections on the receptacles have failed. Replacing the receptacles with new ones and using the screw terminals to connect them will likely fix this problem. If this room was built in the 1970s and has aluminum wiring, the problem is different, so please let us know.

Old 03-20-17, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also cheap outlets can go bad. In any case, DO fix the problems. Having good working outlets can make daily life MUCH more pleasant - less frustrating!

If you are not comfortable working on this yourself, it is a simple problem most likely, so an electrician would not charge much to fix it. Ask for good quality "commercial grade outlets". These are about $3 each as opposed to 50 cent s each - you get what you pay for!

Old 03-20-17, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
It sounds like you may have loose connections. Loose connection cause heat. Too much heat could cause you to need a new place to live. Please get this fixed for your safety and convenience. You should not need cords running across the room.