whole house gfci

Old 04-28-01, 07:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I am not a licensed electrician but do a fair amount of electrical work. I have for years been putting in gfci breakers for code required areas rather than go the outlet way. Considering the ever increasing requirements and safety issues why not a "whole house gfci"?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-01, 07:52 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Because there are some circiuts (eg sump-pump, refridgerator/freezer, furnace), that either do not like GFCI, or by code must not be.

Old 04-28-01, 11:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Gary. I was aware of the problem with certain equipment. What I really wanted to know is why all the circuits that require gfci are not on breakers. I have a house that the outside outlets are downstream from a bath gfci outlet. Since code requires so may areas to be on separate circuits now why do I still see new housing using downstream wiring from individual outlets ? Is it just a matter of $$$ ?

Old 04-28-01, 02:41 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
It's dollars and also the fact that a breaker will all most never be checked monthly as required, but an outlet may be because the button is right there every time they use the outlet.
Don

Old 04-29-01, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usually gfi circuits are used where the outlets are exposed to the outside elements, in high moisture areas. Certain things like flourescent lights can be a problem for cgi circuits, and also certain other electical items. Then there is the cost factor, regular plugs are cheap, gfi are much more expensive, also gfi breakers are likely more expensiive than the standard breaker. But it is all up to you, it could be considered overkill on what you are proposing. I personally would follow the code and use gfi where it is required by code, or certain specific areas where you might have an additional concern, and put regular circuits for the rest.

Also gfi plugs will not work with split circuit plugs, I am not certain if bridged dual circuit breakers are available for use in split circuits.

In theroy (one you don't want to prove) if an electrical small electical applicance/stereo falls into a bathtub full of water with you in it, the gfi is suppose to trigger fast enough that you will live thru it, without it you could very well be dead.

Old 04-29-01, 05:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

What, no mention of GFPE's ??

Old 04-30-01, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some of us do not like the lights to go when there is a ground fault. Some people, like my mother, don't like to touch breakers unless there is an emergency. In addition to testing, resetting a GFCI at point of use (misuse) is more convenient than going to the panel.

Old 05-01-01, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Well, gee guys what are you going to do when the AFCI for bedrooms start kicking in next year. A breaker for the entire bedroom(s). No receptacle pushbuttons so you don't have to make that long and scary trek to the breaker panel.