Basement wiring diagram review

Old 03-24-17, 11:48 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement wiring diagram review

Hi All!

I've been reading here for quite some time now and the knowledge shared is simply amazing....some VERY talented people around here. I'm getting ready to apply for my building permit to finish my basement, but wanted to run my diagram by you folks first.

Main panel is in the bottom right corner of the basement, and there are plenty of open slots to use without needed a sub. I'm planning on running 4 new circuits:
1 ea 15A Lighting (all LED recessed fixtures)
2 ea 20A Outlet circuits
1 20A GFCI to service the bathroom

One smoke detector is already wired, so I'll just add 2 additional to that circuit.

Can you take a look at the diagram? This is the first project of this size, so any feedback is welcomed!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 8051
Size:  35.8 KB
Name:  Capture - Copy.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  31.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-24-17 at 12:08 PM. Reason: split pic into 2 and enlarged
Old 03-24-17, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The board heavily compresses pictures making it hard to read text.
I split your one capture into two pictures.

Wiring looks pretty good.

Having some first hand experiences with basement bedrooms.... they usually require two means of egress. There needs to be a window in the bedroom specifically designed and sized for emergency egress purposes.

Old 03-24-17, 01:03 PM
C
Hi Pete,

Thanks for helping out with the picture. Its hard to see, but there is actually a full sized window in the bedroom along the right-hand wall that meets the egress requirement.

Old 03-25-17, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Room on the left hand side does not appear to have any receptacles. An unfinished room is required to have at least one receptacle. If it is a basement it is required to be GFCI protected.

It appears your panel will is in the bedroom and your building a closet for the panel. Make sure it is at least 30" wide for proper clearance around the panel.

You may want to install a separate circuit to the above mentioned receptacle in an unfinished room if you are going to drywall the entire basement. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to get any more circuits out of the panel later on. You may also want to consider installing a sub panel in the unfinished room or a conduit run for circuit access at a later date.

Old 03-25-17, 09:28 AM
A
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
Can't tell for sure - no ceiling light so does bedroom have wall switch for half-switched receptacles?

Might need smoke/co2 directly outside bedroom door.

Also need 36" clearance in front of electrical panel. With in-swing door you might not get that.

Old 03-27-17, 05:07 AM
C
Dear all...thanks for the feedback! The unfinished section on the left side of the diagram already has a GFCI outlet that was put in by the builder, which I plan on leaving as-is.

I never thought about running conduit to the unfinished side for a potential future sub panel...definitely something I'll consider.

Great call out on the electrical panel closet. I will flip that door so that it swings out into the room instead of into the closet. It is just over 3ft wide in front of the panel, so this should just meet the minimum clearance. I will also add a smoke/CO2 outside of the bedroom door.

Its terribly hard to see in the picture, but there is a half-switched wall outlet in the bedroom, on the left hand wall.

Old 03-27-17, 11:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
A few comments, though mostly opinion-related

- It looks like you have a LOT of switches for the main rooms. If it were me, I'd probably simplify and remove the 3-ways where they likely won't be used. I assume the main entrance is the staircase, so add them all there. Near the other entry doors, add one switch to meet the code requirement, but why have all the extra ones? (again - completely my opinion)

- Make sure you meet the CO detector requirement for your locale

- You specify 14/2 for the detector circuit. Should be 14/3 for the extra signaling wire.

- Don't forget about CATV outlets (not necessarily on your plan, but when you install)

Looks like a great plan!

Old 03-28-17, 10:39 AM
Here are a few thoughts of mine from my past two basements in my houses. First off, your overall plan looks good & well thought out.

Do you have kids? My experience is that they tend to leave lights on (OK maybe just my kids did), but with that in mind, I wired the main area lights with 3-way pilot types of switches at the top of the stairs. The pilot type of switches show when a light is on, that way you know when it was left on without having always to go down stairs to see. I had to do that because of corners similar to your set-up. I just did that on the main area lights, the single room areas such as storage I used a single motion detector type of switch. That way it turns on when your arms are full of stuff but also turns off a few minutes after you leave. I even did the bathroom light that way, the bathroom fan is on a normal single switch (two gang box with those two side by side). The kids say that motion switch is a problem for "extended" bathroom stays. Oh well!!!

The pilot light type of switch is a real knee saver for me and not going up & down the steps. With the switch up top we also use it all the time to flick the lights to ask the kids to come upstairs, or when dinner is ready, or just to get their attention. It takes a little more wiring to do so, the switches are also not cheap, and takes extra work to fish the cable up the wall somewhere along the stairway. But that said, you will like the convenience once you do it.

Overall I also agree with the others that the fewer the 3-way switches the better, thus the single motion detector switches. However I would never give up the top of the stairs 3-way pilot type of switches we have. Up top we have 3 of them in a 3-gang box. The other part of the 3-way is down below near where they are needed.

One final comment, I went with drop ceilings for my basements. Its personal preference, but I like the convenience of access across my full basement ceiling. However I did spend extra $$ for higher quality 2x2 tiles for a nicer look along with using crown molding along all of the wall areas of the ceiling.

Good luck on your project, looks like a nice basement. Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: