Need help with outlets

Old 03-27-17, 05:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with outlets

In my kitchen I have some issues with my outlets. I plugged in a laptop to charge in a non-GFi outlet (outlet w/o test/reset?). Doing this immediately popped the gfi outlet to the left (red light came on). I can't push it in. Every outlet between the two do not work. IVe checked the fuse box in garage and everything seems to be ok. I flipped the two kitchen fuses off then on, but still nothing. Any ideas? Would love to not have to call an electrician if I can DYI. THANKS!

Old 03-27-17, 05:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
IVe checked the fuse box in garage and everything seems to be ok. I flipped the two kitchen fuses off then on, but still nothing.
Then that isn't a fuse box and those aren't fuses. It is a breaker box with breakers.
Doing this immediately popped the gfi outlet to the left (red light came on). I can't push it in.
Did you remove the laptop plug before trying? If so open the GFCI receptacle and check for loose wires.

Old 03-27-17, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Did you unplug your laptop before you pushed the reset? Usually a reset and test button did you push the right button? May have to open last outlet and take a picture of wires so we can see whats there.

Old 03-27-17, 09:11 AM
R
Sorry, I meant breaker. Yes, unplugged laptop immediately as outlet didn't work. I will try to upload a picture shortly. Visualize from left to right. Gfi outlet - regular outlet - regular outlet. Problem started when plugging laptop in right regular outlet. Caused gfi outlet to pop and middle and right regular outlets to not work. Guessing all on same circuit?

Old 03-27-17, 09:41 AM
You need to open all the outlets and check all the connections. Do you have a multimeter? (A non contact tester can't be used.)

Old 03-27-17, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 90 Posts
Did you press the reset on the gfi and check the breaker in the panel?

Old 03-27-17, 12:46 PM
R
Reset won't catch when depressed on gfi. Breakers seem to be fine.

Old 03-27-17, 03:31 PM
Disconnect the black and white wire from the load side of the GFCI. Will it now reset? If not using a multimeter measure the voltage on the line side of the GFCI receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: