adding electrical service to a garage

Old 04-28-01, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
greetings all,
I'm in the process of adding electrical service to a garage with none. From my reading, it appears I can simply run the circuit from the house's service panel to a breaker box in the garage. I'm not clear on the specifics of connections...and havn't found much info for the 240volt service I need in garage. Can I just add a 240 breaker to house's box, run this to service panel in garage, what kind of box, is GFCI required, thanks for any help offered....gar

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-01, 03:44 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
What kind of use is the garage going to be? What kind of automatic loads are in the garage? What is your largest motor load in the garage, name both automatic and manual stle loads. How far away is the garage from the dwelling? Are you going overhead or underground? Do you want to oversize for future loads or install just the minimum? Are you planning to run a home business or is this garage just for personal use? What size service in you home and how large is your home. Then is all applances electric in the home? All makes a difference to our advise. Tell us the above and we will try to help.

Wg

Old 04-28-01, 11:13 PM
Able Sashweight
Visiting Guest
Hi, wg. I'm curious about shy using the garage for a home business would be relevant? Greater frequency of use and higher expected load? Or something else?

Able

Old 05-01-01, 04:47 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Able

If the detached garage is zoned for business then commercial design is required. If the detached garage is zoned for residential use there is an allowance letting you reduce the wiring size in some occasions. Also there is a difference in the demand load calcs between residential and commercial. Residential is expected to be inherant to intermittent use where commercial may be ruled as continuous use requiring heavier wiring styles.

Also if the wiring is for home use commonly you may have 500 amps worth of equipment but only one person running that equipment limiting load to only one piece of equipment. If employees are involved more demand load would appear becuase more machines may run at the same time.

Hope this helps

Wg