Remote controlled ceiling fan & light

Old 04-28-01, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a Hampton Bay Redington II remote controlled ceiling fan & light. The only on/off/speed switch for the fan is the remote control. The fan/light was in the house when we bought it 2 years ago and I don't have any instructions for it. About 4 months ago, when I turned the lights, a bulb burned out and I lost complete functionality for the remote (both the lights and the fan). I went to Home Depot (exclusive sellers of Hampton Bay) and asked them for recommendations and they just had me return the motor, light fixture and remote receiving unit. Everything seemed fine. Last night as I turned the light on, one of the bulbs burnt out. I tried to turn them off so I could replace the burned out one and the remote had no effect on them. The remote is still able to work the fan both on/off and various speeds, but still has no effect on the light. I went back to Home Depot and they suggested that I try replacing the battery in the remote. Even though it works for the fan I replaced the battery and still get no response from the lights (I unscrewed them last night so they wouldn't be on all night).

Any suggestions on what the problem might be. Home Depot gave me a number to call Hampton Bay but it isn't their number.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-01, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the remote control the only means to control his fan/light fixture ? and there is no existing wall switch to control this ? I have been trying to find some info on the net about this and so far have come up empty handed, but I would like you try this...

turn off the circuit breaker at the electrical panel that this fan/light is on, wait 10 to 15 seconds and then turn it back on, and see if the remote now works.

let us know.

Old 04-29-01, 02:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Most people are not aware that many products at Home Depot are marketed under brand names that do not reflect the actual manufacturers name. I have been down this road with American Craftsman windows that are made by an unfamiliar company in New Jersey. My suggestion is to return the fan to Home Depot for a refund and get another brand. There have been many reports of problems with Hampton Bay fans and you will only spend many months of aggravation as I did.

Old 04-29-01, 10:15 PM
Visiting Guest
I've got this exact same fan/light. The first one I bought the remote would only work intermittently. I took back the receiving unit and swapped it. The girl I talked to at home depot said they've had alot of problems with those and suggested that if that didn't work to return it for something else. So far it's working great. I sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but it sounds like there may be some problems with this fan. Good luck.

Old 04-30-01, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes the reomte is the only way to control this fan/light and there is no wall switch. I have turned the circuit breaker off for several minutes and it had no effect. I changed the code inthe remote and the receiving unit in case something in there had tripped and it had no effect.

The part that confuses me most is that the remote works for the fan, just not the light.

I will go back to HD today to see if I can swap out whatever the bad parts might be.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 05-01-01, 06:04 PM
Visiting Guest
For everyones info Hampton Bay fans are made by a company called King of Fans in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Tel 800-330-3267