Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wall outlet is smoking when refrigerator is connected through an extension cord

Wall outlet is smoking when refrigerator is connected through an extension cord


Old 04-04-17, 11:13 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall outlet is smoking when refrigerator is connected through an extension cord

Hello, I have a small refrigerator. My voltage stabilizer wasn't working so i connected the refrigerator through an extension cord to a power outlet (stabilizer was not connected). Within a few seconds after I switched it on, I started to see smoke coming out of the wall outlet and the extension cord plastic melted a bit. Thankfully I switched it off and there wasn't any fire.

The extension cord I used is a 10 meter round extension cord with a max rating of 10 amps. My refrigerator says that it draws 0.9a of current. So i'm not sure why there was a problem. Could someone explain to me why this happened.

The extension cord plug looks fine but for the fridge plug one of the pins has a burnt look. I think that happened before this smoking episode as even the plastic on the stabilizer plug is burnt. (maybe from some previous power surge or due to some problem with the refrigerator itself, I don't know).

Also, I live in India and we recently had a major flood during which half of this refrigerator was submerged in water. I had it repaired and it was working fine for about 4 months before this happened. Below is a picture of my refrigerator plug.Name:  IMG_20170404_181623.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  27.9 KB
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-17, 04:37 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,927
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
There is a loose connection at the wall receptacle, for example the plug does not fit tightly into the receptacle or the cord conductors are frayed where they are attached to the plug prongs or the wiring in the wall at the receptacle is not tightly connected.

Does another appliance drawing similar or greater power, such as a toaster or vacuum cleaner, cause overheating of that receptacle if plugged in there?

Did that receptacle get wet (causing rusting of wiring and metal parts inside) during the flood?

Loose connections can get very hot at well under the amperes needed to trip the breaker.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-04-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 08:28 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 391
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The burned pin is the ground.. It should NEVER be carrying current - let alone enough current to overheat and melt the plug.. There is something seriously wrong with that refrigerator.
Old 04-05-17, 03:35 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
NOTE: OP is located in India

I doubt your refrigerator is pulling less than one amp. The burn on the cord could have been caused by a surge or strike. Basically having a refrigerator on an extension cord is not a good idea. How long an extension cord is it, and what gauge wire is it?
Old 04-05-17, 05:06 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As noted by Larry the extension cord should be as short as possible.
Old 04-05-17, 07:35 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 56,411
Received 752 Votes on 707 Posts
Regardless of the extension cord use..... your fridge has a very serious internal problem and MUST be checked out before using again.

As pointed out..... it's the ground pin that is burned. That points to a direct problem in the fridge.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: