Wiring spa panel - kckckc

Old 04-06-17, 08:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring spa panel - kckckc

I need advice please. I have a home with a 125 amp panel. I am getting a swim spa delivered which is 220 v and 60 amps. It will have a 15-60-15 breaker with a disconnect panel. My house panel is on the opposite side of my house from the carport where I will be putting my swim spa and the disconnect panel will be installed in the carport. The electrician is running the6/3 romex thru the attic and down the wall. My question is this- Do I have enough amps on my house panel to run this spa and things in my house such as ac and light or tv at the same time without tripping breakers? Please answer soon as my spa is being delivered in a little while. Thank you!

Old 04-06-17, 09:08 PM
T
Depends on what else electric you have in the house. A/C obviously.. Water heater? Stove/cooktop/oven? Is your furnace a heat pump with an electric backup? The lights and electronics are pretty inconsequential, they don't draw a lot. It's the big appliances that will cause you issues.

Old 04-07-17, 06:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Since you have an electrician running the new wiring for you he would be the perfect person to ask.

Like Taz420 mentioned... that depends on your house's wiring and none of us can see what you have. Do you have one or more circuit breaker panels? Is your house total electric or do you have gas heat? How large is your house? Does it have one or two AC units?

Go to your breaker panel. At the very top there is probably one much larger breaker. What number is on it's handle. Hopefully it says 200 meaning you might/should have 200 amp service to your house. That would leave you with 140 amps to run everything else in the house.

Old 04-07-17, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Adding or subtracting breaker ratings is no substitute for a demand load calculation . The calculation should have no been done prior to purchasing the spa. Often times the cost of a service upgrade add too much cost to the project .

If the NM needs to go outside it cannot be used.

Old 04-07-17, 02:20 PM
K
kckckc

We have a full size fridge and freezer, heat pump/ ac big tv, 2 computers, washer and dryer, bidet. We would not be using the tv or computers or washer and dryer at the same time . We would be using or ac or hat pump and freezer and fridge. What do you think?

Old 04-07-17, 02:25 PM
K
kckckc

I do have electric stove but I would not be using it at the same time, My heat is gas vis central heat and air. I have 125 amps.

Old 04-07-17, 02:28 PM
K
You are right but I did not even think about it as I have never been involved with electrical stuff. What does NM stand for?

Old 04-07-17, 02:32 PM
K
Only 1 ac unit. Our house is 840 sq feet. we have 1 main breaker in the 125 amp panel. I am new to posting so I have written several other emails, please see them.

Old 04-07-17, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With the time span of your posts, you don't need to make new posts. You have a certain amount of time to edit your previous post. Just makes it a little simpler.

As far as your load calculation goes, you may find your existing service inadequate to handle more of a load. As mentioned earlier your TV and other electronics and lighting are minor loads. It is the air conditioner, heat pump, stove, etc. that will hinder it. It doesn't matter if you use any of the appliances at the same time or not, your load calculation is based on the "potential" use of all the appliances.

Old 04-07-17, 04:52 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
What does NM stand for?
NM = Nonmetallic sheathed cable, AKA "Romex"

Old 04-09-17, 06:31 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
My heat is gas vis central heat and air.
Ok, gas heat and gas a-c? What about your water heater, gas or electric.

My first thought since you only have 840 sq ft is that you'll probably be fine, but no one can say for sure without doing a full load calculation.

Old 04-10-17, 05:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Your electrician is in the best position to advise you about your panel and if you have enough service to support a spa. But if your house only has 125 amp service and you subtract 60 for the spa, 40 for air conditioning another 40 for the kitchen stove, 30 for an electric water heater you'll quickly see that you could have a problem. No, everything likely will not be used simultaneously but the filtration and heater in your spa will turn on and off automatically so you don't have control over when it runs and the same for your AC. Now imagine the spa heater and filtration is running and it's hot so the AC is going and now you want to cook dinner not to mention incidentals like lights, TV and computer. The one thing in your favor is that the devices do not actually use that full rating on the breaker so even though your spa specifies a 60 amp breaker it may only actually use 40 or some other lesser amount and the same goes for everything else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: