Mounting speakers trying to miss electrical

Old 04-07-17, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting speakers trying to miss electrical

I am trying to hang a speaker mount but trying to figure where. The red lines are the studs the yellow is the electrical reading from my stud finder (which disappears when I switch the breaker off), and the blue is where I want to hang the mount. It seems like the electrical should go up the stud nearest to the outlet but the reading says otherwise. What should I do? Should i trust the readings or is there another way ro find out? The blue spot is ideal for the mount.

Name:  Nhawf7r.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  12.8 KB

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-07-17 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added image
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-17, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't see a receptacle, just a phone jack. The electrical cable is attached to the side of the stud, sitting about 1 3/4" back from the surface of the stud. I doubt you will hit the wire with a screw that is 2" long, even if you missed the stud. I would confirm the stud location with a small finish nail in the location you want, once you relocate the stud and mark it. It will be 1 1/2" wide.

Old 04-07-17, 03:22 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
what you can do is piece of tape horizontal, find and mark the sides of the stud and drill in the middle. If there is an elec cable it will be outside the stud and not a problem

Old 04-07-17, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you see the right stud on the left of the hole at the bottom of the wall? Plumb up from the right edge of that stud and when you are at the desired height of your mount measure over 3/4" to the left and that will be the center of the stud. Trust your instruments. If you don't trust them what is the point of using them. Your stud finder should find the center of the stud. You can verify either the stud finder by the method I suggest or verify your plumbness and measurement with the stud finder. If the electric wire goes part way down the stud then angles to your left to the outlet that would help you determine if the electric wire is there for sure.
sheetrock 1/2" wire set back 3/4" = 1 1/4". A 2" screw could hit it. But I would expect the wire to be in the middle not 3/4" from the edge of the stud. You can always make a hole and take a peek. Your speaker will cover the hole anyway. Of course you might cut the wire when you make your hole.

Old 04-08-17, 08:02 AM
I used the stud finder at the height I want and found that there were 3 center stud hits in a row, one after another, all saying there is power near. Also, the stud on the right of the vent does not seem to go all the way up the wall. What cold the 3 stud center hits in a row mean?

Old 04-08-17, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
What could the 3 stud center hits in a row mean?
Not quite sure what you are asking.

What kind of mount/speaker are you hanging ?

Old 04-08-17, 09:20 AM
HerE are the mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000X...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suppose I am not sure which to aim for if any. Three center hits confuses me.

Old 04-08-17, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
When you use a stud finder you start in the middle of a hollow section. Slide it towards the stud. As soon as you see an indication.... STOP. Make a mark with a pencil.

Now do the same thing from the other side of the stud.

The center between your two marks is the center of the stud.
Test it several times to be sure.

I install a lot of wall mounted speakers and TV's. I'll take a very thin ice pick and push it gently thru the sheetrock to locate the sides of the stud to ensure that I'm 100% centered.

Old 04-08-17, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"Can you see the right stud on the left of the hole at the bottom of the wall? "

I meant to say the right SIDE of the stud on the left of the hole at the bottom of the wall.