Can you walk me thru a photocell switch...

Old 04-10-17, 01:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you walk me thru a photocell switch...

I need to 'reverse' the function from 'On at Dusk' to 'On at Dawn'. I have an electric auto radiator fan to install on a 40' shipping container and need to suck out the humid air inside (I get dripping off the ceiling) during the day when humidity is lower.

The Photocells are dirt cheap ..it's just I am clearly not smart enough to wire this switch. Hell, I have difficulty with 2 wires becoming three then two again, the regular way?!

As a visual person (lucky I have a spell checkler..) please scratch it onto a piece of paper and post an image, so I can study it. Thanks for the help. Jim

Additional background information
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ar-panels.html

Last edited by PJmax; 04-10-17 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added link to previous thread
Old 04-10-17, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
This is obviously a continuation of your already started container thread.

Logically you should solar panels to directly power the fan.
When there is daylight...... there is power..... the fans runs.

Photocells are dirt cheap and run on 120vac power..... not 12vdc.

Old 04-10-17, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
PJ knows more of what you are doing but I will throw my 2 cents in:

You need a contactor or relay with Normally open/ Normally closed contacts. You want the normally closed contacts. The photo cell will trigger at night and open the contacts and shut off the fan. Then when it gets light, the photocell will open and close the contacts.

This will not work with DC.

Old 04-10-17, 07:37 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
They also make inexpensive 24 hr timers. Also, sounds like you are more concerned about humidity. One of the problems with a fan is running it when it is raining outside and bringing in 100% humidity day or night. Gets a bit more complex but you could monitor RH inside and outside to determine when to run the fan.

Bud

Old 04-10-17, 08:05 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 157 Votes on 139 Posts
They do have humidity sensors designed for bathroom fans. Maybe something like that would work for you?

Old 04-10-17, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
I added a DIY link to the OP's opening post. This container is apparently far from 120v power and will require batteries and solar cells.

We actually need to see how that was accomplished and work with it.

Normally in an application like this.... a DC fan directly powered from solar cells is very effective. A radiator fan would not be the best choice as they draw 15+ amps at 12vdc.

Old 04-11-17, 06:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Photo cells do not work. As PJM stated, the radiator fan draws too much current. I hooked three panels (I have) together. This fan is also one 'I have'. As well as a 120/12v power supply - 'I have.' I would rather cobb together what I have rather than start new.

I could have bought a series of powered boat vents, but these are things I have. It's oly a 30' walk to flip a switch manually, that may be the easiest solution. Paraphrasing Bud9051; "It's raining - now what?!" Thanks. I'll figger it out. Cheers.

Jim

Old 04-11-17, 03:03 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I hope you guys are not trying to say that low-voltage DC photocells do not exist, they surely do. Just do a Google for dc photocell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: