No shut off between main breaker box and transformer

Old 04-10-17, 10:30 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No shut off between main breaker box and transformer

So i live in an old house and the breaker box outside is oooold and basicly just exposed to the elements... It also has another box connected to it inside the house.It use to be a duck hunting shack that the new owners added bedrooms and a bathroom too.Well the wires to the inside box are jamed into the same wires that are powering the main box outside.Outside box has no main shut up and is connected directly to the transformer.Unfortunately i had no clue and opened the main box's metal panel directly into the wires coming from the transformer and instantly melted that panel and made the most god awful electrical sound i never wanna hear again.My question is who's fault is this,should i contact my landlord or electical company?

Old 04-10-17, 10:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like a mess and some real code violations.
You are renting..... you notify the landlord. They hire the electrician.

We couldn't comment much further without pictures. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-10-17, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If this is a rental, it doesn't sound like it's fit for occupancy. If you call the landlord, he may fix it and try to charge you. If you call an electrical company, they probably won't repair it without bringing all the bad work up to code....$$$$$. And you should never have repairs done to a place without something in writing from the landlord. If you call the local authority having jurisdiction, they may tag the house and you won't have a place to live.

I'd call the landlord first. And look for a new place to live. Sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

Yer lucky you weren't injured or worse. He should consider himself lucky you weren't or he could be liable for....$$$$$$$$$.

Old 04-11-17, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The power company is only responsible up the the line side of the meter. Anything on the load side is on the owner.

Old 04-12-17, 12:36 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
who's fault is this
First question that comes to mind is why did you open the box?

Old 04-14-17, 10:47 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Who is at fault and who is liable could be two different things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: