Need to Connect AL wiring to CU For Wall Oven

Old 04-12-17, 04:06 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Need to Connect AL wiring to CU For Wall Oven

Our house has aluminum wiring. The old wall oven had the junction box inside the wall behind the oven with 50 amp circuit AL wiring going to the box. The new wall oven wants the box mounted below the oven where it is accessible. The oven wires are CU and really small.

Can I join the AL wires to 50 amp CU wiring in the upper box and run the new copper down to a lower junction box where I can connect the oven to it?

Would it be best to use AL/CU splicer reducers? The ones I've seen at the big box store don't have a wall between the two ends.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Rater than introducing another splice point..... can you move the existing box down ?
The junction box can float too.... it doesn't have to be mounted.

You can extend the wires down to a second junction box.
You'd need to use connectors where the copper and aluminum wires did not touch.

These are some different types. I like the set screw type couplers. They get taped after connection.

Name:  split.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  16.0 KB

Old 04-13-17, 04:09 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, I think I can move the cable down to the new box. I was thinking of using the setscrew coupler too.

Would it be okay to use heat shrink tubing instead of tape? It seems like it would be safer.

Old 04-13-17, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Heat shrink tubing will also work ok. Use one of the heavier gauge products.

Old 04-16-17, 06:38 AM
L
Received 49 Votes on 45 Posts
I found set screw type is harder to fit in the junction box because it makes a long splice.
I'd use dual rated split bolt type. Most split bolt connectors are made for copper only, so make sure it is dual rated. There is a separator on dual rated connector so that copper and aluminum does not touch directly.
Push both wires front the same side and this make splice smaller and also easier to tape. User a rubber splicing tape to insulate, then regular vinyl electric tape to finish it up. Rubber splicing tape needs to be stretched while taping for it to stick to each other, however, it still can come a part, so taping with vinyl tape makes it secure.

Old 04-16-17, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
The Polaris connectors are way easier and take up less or equal space to split bolts or in line splices.