Unusual Ceiling Fan Light Switch Problem

Old 04-16-17, 12:57 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unusual Ceiling Fan Light Switch Problem

I have a Ceiling Fan/Light fixture installed with two 3-way switches controlling the light. Has worked fine for 7 years but now when I flip the light switch the light comes on for 1/2 second then turns off. I have to turn the switch off then back on and it works from that point on. Once the light has been on, no problem turning off and on. In addition, on the other switch, it only works when the opposite switch is turned off.

I have replaced both 3way switches twice with identical switches, hooked up the wires exactly the same. have checked the connections replaced the light kit completely and still the same problem. It may work for a couple days but then reverts to that problem, usually after the light has not been on.

Has been driving me crazy. Nothing has changed in the switch wiring. The only thing left is the fan or the wiring harness in the fan through which everything passes to the light. The fan works fine although controlled by a separate single pole switch. Since it is intermittent, it's hard to know what else to do.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Did you install LED lights? Remove the power from the circuit, pull the switches from the box and post pictures of the wiring on both sides of the switches so we can see what you see. I have a suspicion, but need to see what you have in order to give better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-16-17, 04:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
it only works when the opposite switch is turned off.
3-way switches have no on-off position. Sometime on is up sometimes on is down depending on the posistion of the other switch.
replaced both 3way switches twice with identical switches, hooked up the wires exactly the same
The common terminal is key. Common wire must go to common of the new switch. The position of the common on the switch can be different so you can't go by position on the old switch. Depending on age it could even vary with the same manufacturer. Common is the odd colored screw, usually dark gray.

Old 04-17-17, 06:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Switches

I had to go out of town and am not at the home. When I get back I will post pictures of the switches to give a better idea of what I am dealing with. Thanks for the advice.