WS13A switch and LED light

Old 04-19-17, 04:00 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Mod Note: Post moved from previous thread.

AFJES et All, I went ahead and got an X-10 WS13A switch and this one is quite different . It doesn't have a ground either but I was told is because the control panel box is already grounded and the switch is attached to the control panel mounting standoffs.
So to wire this one, is this correct? - According to the big store, I need to get one piece of black wire for live terminal and one white wire for neutral terminal on the WS13A switch. I would then cap together the hot coming out of the GFCI, the receptacle black wire and the WS13A switch live wire. Then cap together the white wire coming out of the GFCI to the white wire on the receptacle, and the neutral white wire on the switch. Lastly connect the pool light black wire to the load terminal on the WS13A switch.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  27.3 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 04-19-17 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 09:34 PM
E

I wired a WS13A switch which is supposed to be compatible with LED lights. I am trying to control a Pentair LED light but it still acts erratic. It doesn't switch the colors as it is supposed to and after I turn it on and off a couple times with hopes it will cycle through the colors, then third time doesn't turn on at all until I click the toggle switch a couple of times.
Here is my wiring. Could this be a compatibility issue with the switch and LED light or is my wiring wrong.
Name:  WS13A.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  18.7 KB

Old 04-19-17, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
That shouldn't be an incompatibility issue.
That X-10 device uses a switching relay so there is a 100% disconnect of power to the light.

Which Pentair LED pool light are you using ?
Have you tried using a regular single pole switch to see how it operates ?

Old 04-19-17, 10:18 PM
E
It is a Pentair 5G Intellibrite. I was hoping to be able to use the X-10 instead of the regular wall switch but it doesn't look promising. I haven't tried it but I guess the single pole switch would be my next attempt

Old 04-19-17, 11:22 PM
Group Moderator
The intelligent controller would take care of the problem but it's a little pricey at around $175.

The only thing I can think of is that the X-10 switch won't cycle fast enough for the light to count the pulses. I'm wondering if you could also put a single pole switch in the line to do the selecting and use the X-10 to just control power.

Other than that.... I can't think of any other reason it won't work as anticipated.

Old 04-19-17, 11:43 PM
E
I decided to go with the Pentair controller so I just ordered it. It seems it would install exactly the same as the X10 switch as it just has a black, white and red wire. Just to make sure as one could never be sure enough, does the wiring diagram looks ok?

Old 04-20-17, 12:08 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... the wiring is the same and the diagram looks ok.

Old 04-20-17, 03:05 AM
E
Thank you PJMAX! This is helpful. I appreciate the help!