Random Mystery Switch

Old 04-21-17, 05:56 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Random Mystery Switch

Please refer to British electrical regulations.

Okay, from at least April 2009 (when our kitchen was redone) there has been this mystery switch on the wall in my kitchen. I have absolutely no idea what it controls, we have two outside lights that don't work and this switch doesn't appear to turn them on. One light has a motion sensor and I've done this at nighttime and still no results. At first I thought that perhaps this switch was put here by mistake, as it's next to the door but on the wrong side - the side with the hinges. On the other side of the door there's another switch but it functions properly as a light switch. There aren't any rounded pin 5 amp sockets that this could control either. I decided to open up the switch and here's what I found:
https://s16.postimg.org/66dy208p1/IMG_1122.jpg

All this time I thought it was a light switch but this wiring suggests not, it looks more similar to the wiring of an FCU except there's nowhere to put a fuse. Could it possibly control the normal 13A plug sockets? I tried and no it doesn't, also bear in mind that this switch has been turned off for 8 years so I probably would've noticed if something didn't work. There's a thermostat and hot water/ heating control panel close to this switch, it has no effect on those. There were two wall lights in our living room next to the kitchen that were removed before the kitchen was redone, the wires inside the switch are of old standard so perhaps when our kitchen was redone they updated the switch without knowing that the lights were removed? I'm out of ideas now, if anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-17, 01:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is an exterior door, switches for outside lights are sometimes placed behind the door. Have you checked for power with a multimeter? It's very odd for switches to have neutral in/out, but maybe it's a european thing (most likely those two center terminals are connected together internally). Is it an electronic switch with a timer or remote control or something? Please post a pic from a little farther away so we can see.