Splitting One Romex Into Five - In Single Junction Box?

Old 04-23-17, 12:13 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splitting One Romex Into Five - In Single Junction Box?

Old house rewiring.
I want to put each of my upstairs rooms on its own circuit. I plan to have separate circuits running in my attic to several junction boxes - one junction box above each room to keep things simple. In the junction box above each room, I was hoping to run five romex cables out of each box, and down inside the walls to the individual outlets for that room.

So:
1). Is splitting one romex into five allowed? That seems like a lot of splitting.
2). If allowed, it seems twisting 6 12/2 wires together and putting a nut on top would be large, awkward, and perhaps unsafe. I've seen little plastic push-in connectors for connecting wires. But I've heard push-ins are horrible on outlets. Are push-ins for connectors better? How should I connect 6 wires?
3). By my calculation, I would need 29.25 cubic inches for my junction boxes. (6 hot wires, 6 neutral, 6 grounds counted as 1 X 2.25 for 12/2 cable.) Is my understanding of this formula right?

I really, really appreciate your input!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-17, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Since this is an extension of this thread, http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...situation.html, maybe it would be best if the threads were all together. Using a 6x6 distribution box may be better, but you didn't mention conduit as you did in the other thread, so there is a little confusion that could have been avoided.

Old 04-23-17, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 836 Votes on 783 Posts
Yes.... splicing one NM cable into five is acceptable.

When you make the splice.... keep the copper wires a little longer than normal until the splice is twisted. Then trim to length and use gray wirenuts.

Your calculations for box fill are correct.

Technically a 4" square deep (1900) box is ok but I would use a 4-11/16" box for extra room.

Name:  boxes.JPG
Views: 1729
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 04-23-17, 03:20 PM
H
Chandler, I did not want to confuse folks with 2 different aspects of the same job, thus 2 threads. The room junction boxes will not have conduit going to them, so the topics are not really related.

PJMax - this is perfect info. I will try to use 4 11/16 boxes (although upon researching them, I'm shocked how expensive the blank covers are for these boxes!).

Upon hearing no comments about the push-in connectors, I'm guessing folks here aren't big fans of them. The idea of twisting 6 12-guage wires together seems less than fun, but if that's the best way, then that's what I'll do.

Old 04-23-17, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
The push in connectors use a different design than the receptacles. I don't know of the same issues. They are probably better for a diy, especially with 6 wires.

Old 04-23-17, 04:15 PM
I only suggested the 6" box for ease of a DIY situation since you will be making more than one bundle of splices with the push in connectors. The push ins are great and I have never had a problem with them.

Regarding Romex, are you sure you can do it in your locale? You have permitted this job, certainly.

The only confusion on the same aspect of the same job is that we have to go from thread to thread to keep up with what you are doing so we don't have less than great information to give you.

Old 04-23-17, 06:10 PM
H
So, you raise a good point, Chandler. And perhaps I'm assuming some things I should not.
So, here's the outline of the whole project.

Re-wiring whole second floor of house.

-I will have a real electrician run 6 circuits from my basement electrical box to a junction box already located in my basement. There is 3/4" conduit from this basement junction box to my 3rd story attic.

-In the basement box, the 6 romex will be converted into THHN. I will run 6 THHN white, 6 THHN black, and 1 THHN green through the conduit to my attic to a junction box up there.

-In the attic junction box, all the THHN wires will be converted back into 6 romex circuits. Those romex lines will run out of the box to 6 more junction boxes. One junction box for each strand of romex. One junction box above each room. The 6 romex lines running throughout the attic will be protected - either going through drilled holes in the floor joists, or attached to the long faces with those metal/plastic staples.

-At the 6 room junction boxes, each circuit will then be split (as per this thread) into 5 romex cables that will run down through the walls to receptacles and lights for each room.

If I'm understanding your comment correctly, you have some concerns about the part where the romex is travelling from the origin junction box in the attic to the 6 room junction boxes. To me, this seems ok, but let me know if that's not the case.

All wiring will be 12/2 and my attic is unfinished (but has a permanent staircase). Most joists are exposed (except for the center of the attic), and running romex will be fairly easy.

Thanks so much for answering my questions!

Old 04-23-17, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Why not just run the cables from the panel to the attic?

Old 04-23-17, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 836 Votes on 783 Posts
I don't think he can.... they're running thru a laundry chute.

It's in his other thread.

Old 04-24-17, 02:46 AM
Gotta jump from thread to thread unless someone merges them.

Old 04-24-17, 09:45 AM
H
Just ignore the other thread. Everything about my question is in my most recent post above. It's all there. I basically just need to know why there was concern over running circuits in my attic from one junction box to others using romex. If I can understand why there was concern over this part, I think I'm good to go.

Old 04-24-17, 02:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with the plan. We just want to make sure you do it so there won't be any problems later on. Using the large boxes will help, especially if your hands are large.