Panel box

Old 04-23-17, 01:23 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Panel box

Ok I have a 150 amp box which is what the wire coming from pole to house is rated for.
What I purchased at a flea market is a 200 amp box with alot of breakers in panel box.
What I would like to know can I install this panel box at shop which is about 75 feet from the 150 amp box and tie into panel box at house and run wire to shop for this 200 amp box.Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-17, 01:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Ok I have a 150 amp box which is what the wire coming from pole to house is rated for.
Not relevant. Rules used by the power company are different from what you are required to use. Often they are smaller than required by the NEC.

You will need four wires, hot-hot-neutral-ground. You will probably need to add a ground bar and if the neutral bar is bonded remove the bond. You will need at least one ground rod at the shop. If the box you bought doesn't have a main breaker you will need a disconnect at the shop.

The wire or cable you use and the size breaker at the main panel will depend on what loads you have at the shop. Usually a 60 amp feed from a 60 amp breaker using #6 copper is is enough but high amp air compressors and/or welders, electric heat, and other heavy loads can increase the size of the feed needed. Tell us what equipment you will have and their amp ratings.

What brand panel is it? If this is a Federal Pacific panel or a Zinsco panel it is best to not use it for safety reasons.

Old 04-23-17, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 152 Votes on 136 Posts
The shop panel will be fed off a breaker in the house panel. Likely the largest you can get is 100 or 125 amp two pole breaker. Still, that will be more then enough power for your shop I'm sure.

Old 04-23-17, 05:04 PM
W
Panel Box

I will at different times be running a 225 amp welder,6 or 7 over head lights,110 amp compressor,grinder,bandsaw,tablesaw,other small tools.I have room for 10 more breakers in the panel box for house.Thanks for your help.

Old 04-23-17, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 152 Votes on 136 Posts
225 amps is likely the output, not input. 110 amps compressor?!?! Does it run on 12 volts?

I have room for 10 more breakers in the panel box for house.
If it a detached building you may only have one feed to it. Perhaps you should look at installing a separate service to your shop.

Old 04-23-17, 06:42 PM
T
Yeah a 225A welder would have a 14-50P 50A plug on it.

Old 04-23-17, 10:33 PM
W
Panel box

I have looked at a separate service but would cost to much.Power company said I needed a power pole at half way to shop.When you say only 1 feed from panel box at home to shop what are you talking about.

Old 04-24-17, 01:46 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
When you say only 1 feed from panel box at home to shop what are you talking about.
That means you can have only one breaker in the house panel. sending power to the shop. That breaker would feed a subpanel. Individual breakers in the subpanel would feed the various circuits in the shop. The panel you bought would be the sub panel.

As I wrote in my original reply:
You will need four wires, hot-hot-neutral-ground. You will probably need to add a ground bar and if the neutral bar is bonded remove the bond. You will need at least one ground rod at the shop. If the box you bought doesn't have a main breaker you will need a disconnect at the shop.

You wrote:
225 amp welder... 110 amp compressor
Those are obviously not the real amp ratings. Please check the name plates for the correct reading and tell us if they are 120 volts or 240 volts.

Also please answer my previous question: What brand panel is it? If this is a Federal Pacific panel or a Zinsco panel it is best to not use it for safety reasons.

I would strongly suggest you buy and read cover to cover a book such as Wiring Simplified. The fact you don't understand simple things like what one feed is or how to correctly find the amps for equipment to be used means you need to learn the basics before beginning.