Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Converting switched outlet to always on with ceiling light

Old 04-24-17, 05:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
I know this has been covered before, but my wiring at my receptacle is different than the other examples I've seen. At the receptacle, I have 2 black wires and 2 white wires coming into the box. The 2 black ones are wirenutted with a red wire nut and have 1 white wire coming out which goes to the switch I believe. The 2 white wires coming in are going to the back left side of the outlet. 1 black wire is going out to the switch from the right side of the outlet. Hopefully that makes sense. So basically, I want the switched outlet to always be on and I want to install a new ceiling light and wire it to the switch.

Old 04-24-17, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We need total cables at the receptacle.
Is it 1) two wire cable and 1) three wire cable ? (grounds aren't counted)

If you are running the new light to the switch... we need to what you have there for cables too.

Old 04-24-17, 05:47 PM
J
It looks like there are (2) 2 wires coming into the box and (1) 2 wire going out to the switch. I haven't actually ran a wires yet for a new light because I want to make sure I figure the wiring out first.

Old 04-24-17, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
So you have confirmed a two wire cable at the switch ?
That would mean a white wire on one terminal and a black wire on the other terminal.

Old 04-24-17, 06:53 PM
J
Yes that is correct. There is just a white wire and a black wire at the switch.

Old 04-24-17, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
This will be easy.

When you are ready to do this.....turn power off.
At the receptacle....
Connect all three white wires together with a short piece of the same size wire to be used as a tail. Connect the tail to the neutral/silver side of the receptacle.
Connect all three black wires together with a short of the same size wire to be use as a tail. Connect the tail to the hot/brass side of the receptacle.

Now...at the switch end.... white is neutral and black is hot. When you bring the light cable in.... white to white with a wirenut. Both black wires go on the switch.

I would ID the switch cable in the receptacle box for future reference.

Old 04-24-17, 07:31 PM
J
Thank you so much! I was hoping it would be pretty simple and it sounds like it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: