Fishing through top plate on a half story wall - tips?

Old 04-26-17, 11:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fishing through top plate on a half story wall - tips?

So I have about 6 or 7 receptacles that are like this, that I need to fish to. Above the ceiling is unfinished and insulated, albeit a little short in height. I need to get cable from a hole for a box between the window and door up into the attic, where I have a j-box, but there is a top plate between where the wall meets the slanted ceiling. Walls are plaster & wood lath.

I did make a hole to pull the circuits from basement to attic, but I had to make one about 14" tall to fit my drill and bit into the space to drill the top plate. I'd rather not make that size of hole 7 more times if I don't have to.

How would you go about fishing romex up this wall?

Name:  EJSQmR5.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  16.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
It looks to me like there is no choice but to notch the black header. Between the black line and the blue line is the roof so that is only as tall as your rafters. The plaster was fastened directly to the rafters. The beige lines are the roof rafters.

Name:  EJSQmR5.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 04-26-17, 01:41 PM
J
Thanks PJ - you are exactly right. On the left side of the window is where I have the new romex runs running all the way to the basement. But like I said, I had to make a 14"+ tall hole to get the drill and bit in. I'm guessing that the top plate is two 2x4's stacked - had to drill a decent depth (didn't go through the roof fortunately...).

This might sound stupid - assuming it's two 2x4's stacked, and assuming they actually measure 2x4, do I just cut out a narrow section as tall as the actual top plate (ie: 4") out of the lath and plaster with the oscillating tool, and then notch the top plate? What's the easiest way to make a 12/2 sized notch? I've never shopped nail plates either - how big would I need then?

I did come across a 48" flexible extension and placement handle in my old man's garage - would that do me any good?

Old 04-26-17, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
I would try the flex bit if there is space above so you don't drill through the roof. Can you drill down from the attic using the flex bit?

Old 04-26-17, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
You cannot drill down on that angle.... unless you can reach your arm down the ceiling to hold the bit in place.

The bit is too hard to handle to drill up.

Old 04-26-17, 07:58 PM
J
I did drill 1" holes in it when I ran the wire to the attic. I used a Irwin speedbor max bit and that sucker had some torque! I do have a 5/8 bit that I might give a try. I will have to go from below; I just dont think I can get the angle to go down from above without going out the siding.

If all else fails, notching looks to be the next best solution.

What exactly do you mean "too hard to handle to drill up"?